Torrevieja Forum

This Section Is For Anything To Do With Electronics

Moderator: Moderator

By Rodtoms
I’ve got a 1.45 dish
Today we have no tv channels showing as it is all pixelated except sky news.
This is the same as yesterday.
It’s not alignment as I’ve paid for the priverlage 3 times over the past 3 years.
Is anyone else having signal problems ?
By Rodtoms
Each time they came to check out the aliment,there was no problems except they did mention possible illegal broadcasts from the mast at via park 3 which was interfering with the satellite signals.
As soon as the sun goes down my picture is OK again.
By satandpcguy
There are over 200 free uk tv channels on the UK TV satellites, so hard to belive that Sky News is the only one affected.
But pixelation and loss of signal on channels can be down to a number of issues:
Dish size wrong for the location
Dish alignment ( a few millimeters out can cause pixelation of channels)
Things growing in front of the dish
Dish is warped so not reflecting correctly
LNB (failing or just crap make)
LNB alignment
poor cabling or connections (cracked cabling allows water in)
poor receiver
and yes, outside interference, but those would usually only affect a few frequencies, not all frequencies.
By Outsider
We have a 1.45 metre dish in the Murcia region. Throughout July & August, we have a lot of problems with pixelation until 8 to 9 pm, then signals are fine, we believe it is due to heat haze affecting the signals. We use IPTV as an alternative via an Android box.
By TVTechnology
The LNB might be getting a little hot, but there are no general problems.

1.4 offset/oval ? -Rod Toms - shouldn't need realignment with this weather, perhaps LNB failure - or if prime focus dish (dish is round not oval, with feedhorn) check the feedhorn where it connects to LNB to make sure there are no insect infestations.

Of course it could be interference - but would have to be really bad if that was the case as to get only Sky news - I think possible, but unlikely/not usually this bad.

Outsider - 1.45 should be fine, either your dish is not fully aligned or LNB not performing as well - it could also be (insects/debris above) - we have quite a few 1.45's in the Murcia region installed over the years - your July/August issue, is not a usual one. Only time you should really have issues is during highwind/wet/bad storm weather. We have test 1.35/1.45/1.9 all ok, year after year July / August.
By Outsider
Thanks for the info TVtech, in your experience, why would you think the tv picture is perfect at night, but pixulates in the day from mid day to 8 in the evening. If it was misaligned or insects in lnb, wouldn't it permanently pixulate.
By TVTechnology
Thanks for the info TVtech, in your experience, why would you think the tv picture is perfect at night, but pixulates in the day from mid day to 8 in the evening. If it was misaligned or insects in lnb, wouldn't it permanently pixulate.
That is not usual. It could simply be the LNB breaking down and issue exacerbated by the heat of the day?

We have also seen insects wander in and out certain times of the day which has caused a little head scratching. Like a spider that wandered into an LNB every evening, though multiple checks during the day were fine.

I'd suggest making 100% sure no insect infestation - at the stage, i'd be wagging my finger probably at the LNB and also have the dish aligment checked.

It is possible you have a weird cross interference situation - whereupon at 12 someone elsewhere, directly in the line of sight of your dish, sticks on HAM radio or something else which shouldn't be there which is bouncing off the of the dish, possible - we have seen it, but unusual. Also difficult to spot as need a spectrum analyser to see any noise that shouldn't be there.

If you need any more advice, welcome to PM
By Rodtoms
Same for me
No pixilation problems now but the summer was terrible for pixilation.
I tried everything to rectify the problem.
By TVTechnology
Maybe it was the LNB breaking down or insects flying in and out of your feedhorn on the LNB (Prime focus 1.45).

I can confirm our own Prime focus dish was ok all summer - so if not an alignment issue which clearly it is not, that leaves the possibility of an older LNB somehow not quite coping with the summer heat or a whacking illegal signal from the local rebroadcasting cowboys antenna nearby.

The only other option would be to replace the LNB, then next time you'll know for sure whether LNB or interference. LNB shelf life, just as a guideline 5-7 years.
28575707_1595941540495401_7278846294184021435_n.jpg
28575707_1595941540495401_7278846294184021435_n.jpg (32.32 KiB) Viewed 557 times
if you are having any morning issues....
By Paulwps
Paid three times to get dish realigned, buy a signal strength meter.
I've got a 1.5 offset dish, no pixelation at all.
I would try another LNB ,it's a shame im not in Spain , i have a few spare ones.
By TVTechnology
I don't think the tuning is the OP's issue - 3 alignments in 3 years, whilst not optimal, given the level of localised storms, is €50 or €60 a year in maintenance - if viewed from that perspective is not exactly a fortune. In fact, those still paying the rebroadcasters €20 per month, take €300 off you per year, whilst re-transmitting you the BBC.

Certainly, the last couple of years we've had some terrible winter storms and anything outside that's unlucky enough to get hit will get knocked a little. I think last winter 3 large internet transmission antennas got pulled down in storms locally, costs tens of thousands to fix - so if a callout for a retune for a single dish is needed, once a year - I think given circumstances, is reasonable.

The cheap meters are ok for a tweak, but if you really want to tune a dish optimally, you need to find the sweet spot between 3 different satellites and best signal balance, that you can't do on a cheap meter/screamer. One for the home hobbyist - ok to a point, but you want to tune a dish well, there's a reason why some meters cost €1000's - you can see a whole lot more.

Ultimately the satellite dish is still the cheapest / best option for FTA, even if you were to factor in a retune a year. During the storms it is only a small % of people affected or dishes get hit badly, but there will always be some fallout. I suspect based on an average, maintenance is usually every 2-3 years.

Last winter we visited a number of flooded communities also, cables wet, perished, underground etc, so with any of these type of systems - private or community, no getting away from it, at some point in time maintenance will be needed.
Whole Frozen Duck

Have you tried Pick n Pay. ?

PMs

What happened to PMs? Do they no longer exist on […]

Tablet to Tv

Alf (and others who post similar questions on here[…]

Iberdrola

00 34 916 496 330 It’s the number I use to […]

Importing our motorhome

Does anyone know if the Amanda mentioned in the pr[…]

Que ?

Drive past with San Miguel on your left then turn[…]