Torrevieja Forum

Here you can discuss anything that you wish.
( Within Reason !!!! )

Moderator: Moderator

By old boy
The European Court has rules in favour of the representatives of the taxi drivers of Barcelona in that Uber, certainly within the EU, should be treated as a transport company. The firm had argued that it was merely a technology company that put individuals seeking a hire car to take them to somewhere in touch with drivers willing to transport them.

The ECJ debunked that myth.

It now means that in future all Uber outlets/drivers will be subject to the same local or national rules and laws that other taxi or private hire firms have to abide by, which may see some of the dubious drivers that Uber "employ" being taken off the road.

Having said that, it is ridiculous that, for example, a place like San Miguel de Salinas only used to have one taxi to serve the whole area including the town as well as places such as El Galan and Blue Lagoon. That meant that if the taxi was doing a run to the airport the whole area would have no taxi available for at least a couple of hours.

And then they wonder why so many individuals used to ferry people around for "petrol" money!
By reagan
Can`t have Uber here in Spain it will do all the illegal airport runs without insurance for hire out of business ,when I had my taxi business in Salisbury "Charlies Cars " the insurance was sky high but it was not illegal for anyone who had a nice car and insured for hire to start a private hire business ,and years later I worked in London for Europcar as a chauffeur and basically that was just a private hire company so if someone out here had private hire insurance I cannot see why they could not be phoned up to do a run anywhere ,all Uber was doing was providing a hire service without the hassle of buying cars and insuring them and taking a percentage off the drivers ,but how many of the drivers had insurance or a criminal record ??
By old boy
Chas, things have moved on a lot since you had "Charlie's Cars". Nowadays, in the UK and even in Spain, private hire companies and taxis have to be licenced by their local authority. Uber has circumvented this so far by claiming that they only put "riders and drivers" in touch with each other as they were a technology company. The ECJ has rules that that is not so, they are a transport company. You only need to look at all their cars displaying the Uber logo to quickly realise that.

As for the matter of criminal records and proper insurance, it has been revealed that a number of local authorities in the UK failed to carry out proper scrutiny of all private hire and taxi drivers, not just Uber drivers.

As for Spain, as Orange (the user name of a member of this forum who is legally in the business) was at pains to remind everyone, you can't just decide to do "taxi" runs because all drivers for hire require a licence from the local authority. It is not a matter of just getting insurance.
By Sheff_Blade
Mrs Nelson wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:43 am
What about Uber in Spain then?
I wish! Superb service in Sheffield. You know exactly who your driver is, when he's due to arrive, roughly how much it will be, payment taken on account, receipt by email, and good customer service (we were once charged when the taxi didn't arrive but the account was re-credited after my 'complaint'). Customers and Uber drivers love it. I dream of the day when an equivalent service is set up in the Torrevieja area.
By Ianhaig25
Sheff_Blade wrote:Superb service in Sheffield. You know exactly who your driver is, when he's due to arrive, roughly how much it will be, payment taken on account, receipt by email

Slightly contradicted by

Sheff_Blade wrote:we were once charged when the taxi didn't arrive but the account was re-credited after my 'complaint')

Not superb when the taxi never turned up, even worse to be charged.
No big deal that the it was recredited, that's the least they could do.
Fact is not turning up is not "superb service", nor is having been charged for it then having to complain to get money back.
By old boy
One needs to ask why the authority in Sheffield are still considering whether to accept Uber's new application (it was required when the UK boss of Uber left the company in October) to carry on trading in the city. Their licence was suspended and Uber had until 18th December to provide information. However, the suspension was lifted on the 13th when the authority received the documentation requested.

The Sheffield authority will give it's decision on whether to issue the new licence sometime in the New Year. In the meantime, Uber have their licences suspended in London, York and elsewhere but are permitted to carry on operating whilst they appeal the suspensions.
By Sheff_Blade
Ianhaig25 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:11 pm
Sheff_Blade wrote:Superb service in Sheffield. You know exactly who your driver is, when he's due to arrive, roughly how much it will be, payment taken on account, receipt by email

Slightly contradicted by

Sheff_Blade wrote:we were once charged when the taxi didn't arrive but the account was re-credited after my 'complaint')

Not superb when the taxi never turned up, even worse to be charged.
No big deal that the it was recredited, that's the least they could do.
Fact is not turning up is not "superb service", nor is having been charged for it then having to complain to get money back.
I don't know how often you use taxis but we use Uber at least a couple of times a week and have done so since summer 15, so in my book one problem in hundreds of rides classifies as superb service. The one time we had a problem there was a mix up in pickup location (it was late at night and we'd had a few sherberts!) so when he didn't turn up we hopped into a black cab.
Durty Nellys Torrevieja

Rosemary you would have to have Sky Sports on your[…]

Roll it in glitter Brexit

[quote="Mr Jones" post_id= But to answer[…]

Hello Ian, I have managed to get the echo dot to w[…]

Spanish ads

Can anyone tell me how I can stop getting adverts […]

Sheets

Got ours from the English guy on Zoco market

Audio Books WANTED

If the blind lady has a mobile android or iPhone, […]

Your opinions