Torrevieja Forum

Tele Tech Gif

To Sponsor This Section, Please Contact Gary.
Anything Relating To Schools Within The Torrevieja Area.

Moderator: Moderator

#882753
Newton College
Camino Viejo de Elche, Alicante Km. 3 Partida de Maitino PI-82A , 03295 Elche/Elx (Alicante)
Tel: 966 610 238 Fax: 965 451 428

The British Primary School, Elche (formerly Lady of Elche)
Mailing Address:
Pena de las Aguilas, 76 Pol. 1
Elche
Alicante
ES
03296
Telephone:
00 34 965 469733
Website:
www.thebritishprimaryschool.com/our-school.html
Curricula:
National Curriculum for England
State/Independent:
Independent: privately owned (individual/corporation)
Lower School Ages:
3-5
Lower School Sexes:
Co-ed
Middle School Ages:
6-11
Middle School Sexes:
Co-ed
Teaching Language:
English and Spanish
SEN:
Unknown
Boarding:
Not available
Uniform:
Yes
#882969
Mar Azul has had a change of ownership and therefore management and is really on the"up".

There is a really good atmosphere there now. The teachers all seem very motivated. My child has attended for the past few years. It is true it is much smaller than El Liminar which gives it the feel of a village school. The teachers are able to get to know each individual child rather than them being lost in the crowd.

The fees are the most reasonable in the area and in my opinion are value for money

Just my thoughts on the matter! :D
#882971
lego wrote:Mar Azul has had a change of ownership and therefore management and is really on the"up".
To the best of my knowledge, Mar Azul is still operating without the necessary documentation from the education department of Valencia, and shouldn't be allowed remain open in San miguel. After all, this is why it was eventually forced to close when it was situated in Torrevieja. The appaling conditions that some of the students had to endure there, didn't help either.

Mind you, being situated above a bar/retaurant, as it is now, isn't exactly ideal, either.
#883672
I am amazed at the continuing criticisms aimed vindictively at Mar Azul School and wonder at the posters motives. Maybe some are residents who don't want the school on the urbanization or maybe some have some reason (as many did), to have fallen out with the schools previous owners.

As a parent with 2 very happy children at the school, all I can say is GIVE THE SCHOOL A BREAK!

There is a new owner, totally committed, along with a talented teaching staff, to making Mar Azul, a respected learning establishment. Most of the schools historical problems were due to a lack of funds on the part of the previous owner and the subsequent lack of investment. She has now gone and the new management have rapidly started to put things right.

The building blocks were already there, good teaching, a pleasant friendly enviroment and a syllabus based on the English School system. With the further investment taking place in the buildings, equipment and staff, it won't be long before the school recovers from the previous owners financial shortcomins.

I am not sure of the Valencian legality issue but if there is a problem I am sure Keith Healey, the new owner, will very quickly put in right. I would be surprised if it hasn't already been dealt with bearing in mind the schools recent accreditication with NABSS.
#883697
rararblue wrote:I am not sure of the Valencian legality issue but if there is a problem I am sure Keith Healey, the new owner, will very quickly put in right. I would be surprised if it hasn't already been dealt with bearing in mind the schools recent accreditication with NABSS.
Not bad for a first post - I expect you joined just to paint such a wonderful picture of an illegal entity. You wouldn't happen to be Keith Healey, by any chance?

No, I don't live on the urbanisation, nor am I a parent of any child and, no, I don't know any of the staff past or present. Phew!

However, as a long time resident of the San Miguel area, this "school" came to my attention whilst it was situated in Mar Azul, and was forced to move out by the Torrevieja Town Hall on the instructions of the Valencian authorities. This was because the "school" had never bothered to obtain an opening licence or authorisation to operate as an entity to teach children in Spain.

This is not a "problem"; this constitutes an illegal enterprise.

And, as for it's current location, the place that it occupies is designated as a community building. It wasn't then, nor is it now, a place for an illicit "school" to be operating, anymore than the play areas which were appropriated by San Migel Town Hall. That space was there solely for the enjoyment of the local residents.

Meanwhile, I understand that the new head enjoys his sojourns to the pub!
#883706
No I am not Keith Healey and Yes, I did take the time to register to make positive comments about the school.

The last couple of months have very much been a case of a new beginning for the school and it is time to draw a line over historical issues and give the new owner time to sort out the problems.

As I said, a lack of previous investment was the problem and has been redressed.

If legality is one of those problems, I am sure it will be resolved.

With regards to the premises, I am sure it is much better that the large buildings (less than 20% is the restaurant area) are being meaningfully used, rather than them remaining empty and not maintained.

Its a little mischievous to say 'the school is situated above a restaurant'. The school has a seperate entrance to the back and whilst a couple of the class rooms are above, most of the school is not.

The school is having a 'Fayre' on Friday afternoon, why not pop along and have a look for yourself?

You will be surprised.
#883723
rararblue wrote:The last couple of months have very much been a case of a new beginning for the school and it is time to draw a line over historical issues and give the new owner time to sort out the problems.
rararblue wrote:If legality is one of those problems, I am sure it will be resolved.
The fact that the school does not have a licence to be opened in the first instance, and does not have the necessary permissions to operate as a place of learning, are not issues that you can draw a line under and just claim that they are historical. That is like saying that a bar that is opened and run without the proper paerwork can just carry on it's illegal activities just because it has new management.

Just because Mar Azul is in Spain does not mean that it can act without due regard to the Spanish legal system. In order for matters to be resolved, the school should be closed immediately, and the owners should apply to the education department at the Generalitat Valenciana for the appropriate licences. Then, and only then, should the school be allowed to operate as a learning facility. That is the way things are done - not taking the law into one's own hand.

And to return to the matter of the building. The original planning consent, as agreed via the Town Hall of San Miguel and the planning authorities at the Generalitat Valenciana, is that the building should be maintained as a community centre. It is not for the Town Hall, the Mayor nor a bit of a dodgy builder nor even the school management, to unilaterally decide that a change of use is appropriate because it suits them. That building is there for perpetual use of the residents of the urbanisation, and the illegal school has absolutely no legal right to be in any part of it.

You may wish to sweep all of this under the carpet, or as you euphemistically call it, draw a line under the matter, but it should never have been opened in the first instance, and the only reason it is still going is because the Mayor, Snr. Saez, has so far ignored the directions of the education department in Valencia to close it down. Maybe, like with the water fiasco, when he is faced with having to pay a huge fine for not acting as directed (he was facing a €20 million odd fine about the water contamination before he finally did something, but it took about 10 years) he may get off his backside and do something.

You say that you have two children attending the school. For their sake, and your's, I hope that neither of them befall an incident over which you need to make a claim against the school. As the "school" is operating outside the legal system, I would imagine that any insurance policy that the management have in place, if they do at all, will be null and void. The very first thing the insurance assessor will want to see is the correct paperwork, and no paperwork equals no insurance.

You have been warned, and any accreditation with a British examination board is no substitute for the proper operating permissions from Valencia.
#883796
lego wrote:For someone who has no children at the school and who doesnt live on the urbanisation you seem to have a great deal of interest in something that it seems shouldnt concern you
I totally agree Lego.
My oldest son went there last year to do his igcse's and A level Spanish and all that I am going to say is that the school is fit for purpose unlike the school he attended for four years in Playa Flamenca. If he'd had an accident in IES Playa Flamenca which has all the legal paperwork although they are tought in portacabins with holes in the floor and leaky roofs etc would I get a cent out of the Valencian government I think not.
I have a Scandanavian school on my door step with children being educated above a restaurant but the residents live and let live, if the parents are happy to send their children to these schools its there choice.
#883863
Deb64 wrote:
lego wrote: I have a Scandanavian school on my door step with children being educated above a restaurant but the residents live and let live, if the parents are happy to send their children to these schools its there choice.
Another school that was shut down for not having the correct license. Yes it´s the parents choice but as spanbod says, if there was an accident, would your child be covered?????
Before anyone gets on my case, I have 2 children who attend Playa Flamenca IES. Yes the conditions are pathetic but the standard of teaching (I have found) is very good. We have lived over here for 10 years and my kids have never been to a brick built school. They have passed every year no problems and although the facilities leave alot to be desired I know they are attending a school that is legit.

Cath
#883886
macanna wrote:You also have to ask if the qualifications they gain will actually be valid, if the school has no authority to teach, even if it has the NABBS certificate.
Yes there igcse are Edexel and the A levels are AQA, my son is now at college in the U.K with these certificates and going on to Uni
#883922
Hi
My findings with Keith are that he really cares about the number one issue the CHILDREN I am sure he is not taking this new role for the money but to improve not only the childrens time at the school but also the loyal teachers that have stayed the course during the old regime most of the time working under great strain from the previous owner.

For gods sake give the guy a chance.

They have actually offered me a moderators role bu[…]

Wrong Jimny1 Police in UK can prosecute drivers f[…]

This,That & another two

long road, sentence,flite or shot

words

taster

New Word Game.

approved

This or That

private Ryan or message

Scrabble 2

toast

This or that or other

salad fresh,sandwich or soggy

New Advertising Slots and Possibilities