Torrevieja Forum

This Section Is Available For Sponsorship.
This section is for those that are learning the Spanish language.

Moderator: Moderator

By Ellsam
In looking at the tense endings of irregular verbs, it shows 'mantener' as having the same endings as 'tener', and 'componer' as having the same as 'poner'.

Is it always the rule that if an irregular verb ends in '------tener' or '-----poner' then the endings follow as above :?:

ps - as a flippant after thought - would that make them 'regular irregular verbs' or 'irregular regular verbs' :!: :wink:
By Jesus
:?: :?:

Confused for the life of me Ellsam

If you remind ignorant people such as myself what was an irregular verb in the first place, them I may able to make sense of your question and maybe reply to it

Jesus
By Jane C
Hi Ellsam,

Yes, poner and tener belong to a small group of verbs that have irregular forms in the future and conditional tenses (pondré, pondría, tendré, tendría).

Therefore compounds of these verbs made with prefixes (componer, mantener etc.) will do the same. I never dare say "always", but in this case, I think so.

Jane
By Ellsam
Jane C wrote:Hi Ellsam,

Yes, poner and tener belong to a small group of verbs that have irregular forms in the future and conditional tenses (pondré, pondría, tendré, tendría).

Therefore compounds of these verbs made with prefixes (componer, mantener etc.) will do the same. I never dare say "always", but in this case, I think so.

Jane
Jane,

Does this also apply to the other tenses such as the future, preterite and present subjunctive, or just the two you mentioned? Would it be correct to say 'compongo' or 'mantengo' for example?

I hope you don't think I'm being to precise, but my previous education, which was long ago, left me rather ignorant of verbs and the use of their tenses. I feel that until I can understand the correct use of verbs within the Spanish language I won't progress to a level that is acceptable.

E
By Jane C
Hi,

Yes it's true that these compound verbs will behave the same as their simple forms.

I wouldn't get too wound up about verbs if I were you. I personally think they come bit by bit with use. If you get them wrong people usually know what you mean, and you can always use infinitives and wave your arms about. :)

Obviously it depends on what you find "acceptable" to yourself, but the purpose of language is to communicate, not to say everything perfectly.

Jane
By Maria B
Ellsam wrote:I feel that until I can understand the correct use of verbs within the Spanish language I won't progress to a level that is acceptable.
Yes, you will progress, Ellsam.

You can drive a car without knowing or thinking about how it all works.

I was taught French like you, all preterites and subjunctives - and this is probably important if you want to take exams.

I learned Spanish in totally the opposite way - informally if you like. No real analysing in depth. OK, so I couldn't explain it properly like Jane. . But I row with my husband in Spanish so must have progressed somehow!! :lol:

Just get out there and start practicing speaking whole phrases without worrying too much about their construction. Well only my advice! - you can learn it that way, trust me...as Jane says, it's just about communicating.
By CathM
I got fed up with stopping and thinking which verb ending to use. Most of the time I now guess. The best thing about it is 80% of the time I am right or at least I am understood :lol: :lol: Guess the lessons are finally working.

Cath
By beastess
I keep 501 verbs handy - a reallly useful book. I like to get the tenses correct when I write a letter at any rate. Can´t usually think of them fast enough when I speak. Aanyone I talk to gets an awful lot of the present and perfect tenses because those are the ones I can remember at speed. Works okay.
By Jane C
Guess the lessons are finally working.
Cath, have you found a new teacher for the evenings that you can recommend? I was passing on the name of your previous teacher to people wanting classes in the evening.

Jane
By CathM
Still don't know if he is giving up Jane. Don't think he knows to be honest :lol: :lol: Will let you know when I hear anything. I need to ring Marina that Colin recommended, when I get the time.
Cath

Is the site closed

AEPD Data Protection

Good point Bee, it was about 12 years ago that I t[…]

www.torrevieja.co.uk

Thanks to Gary for everything and best wishes for […]

Brexit should be cancelled. We all know it is a ba[…]

colinas del lago

We will probably never know how it all worked out […]

There is no regular bus airport to Dream Hills bu[…]

This site is closing at the end of this month, s[…]

Images of the Crib/Belen