Torrevieja Forum

This Section Is Available For Sponsorship.
This section is for those that are learning the Spanish language.

Moderator: Moderator

By mariac
Anyone watch this last night , who do you think wiil win,
I like Pepe.
By Jesus
Maria, is that the title of a program in Spain??? If so I suppose will be the equivalent of Big brother in UK

I know this have nothing to do with your post but for whoever maybe interested, I am going to say that such name just dont sound right at all

Hermano mayor or even hermano grande would sound much appropriate. The programs director should come here to this forum and learn a little bit

Jesus
By Jane C
Gran Hermano has been one of the biggest programmes in Spain for about 6 years at least. I confess I did watch the first two or three series but never look at it now. Presumably the programme directors think this title reflects the original meaning of Big Brother (Orwell's 1984) although the programme has precious little in common with that.

Jane
By Jesus
Hi Jane

Comments apart on the program.....because I never seem such "crapy program" to my modest opinion and cant understand how a person could waste a simple second watching such thing...but that's just my opinion...

(mind you, I only seem 15 minutes of one program and this was back in the UK)

....anyway, what you say is what I was saying/assuming about it. ie, it been called that name in order to very much match its British program etc BUT I was just letting people know that this is not the way of make reference to a bigger brother

I would imagine that Gran Hermano could sound totally fine to a non-Spanish person learning the lenguage hence I wanted to warn them

Jesus
By Jane C
As far as I understand it, "gran" before a noun changes the meaning from "big" to "great" (nearest English equivalents). If I say "un libro grande" I mean "A big book", if I say "un gran libro" I mean "a great book" (as in literary worth rather than size). So, I suppose, "Gran Hermano" reflects the idea of an all-seeing, all-knowing system, rather than just your brother who happens to be bigger than you.

Jane
By Maria B
What's Les Dennis in Spanish... :D
By Jesus
Well like I say I do not see the program so I am not sure if in its original UK program (or Spanish program for that matter) meant to mean, gran as big or gran as great BUT in any case "GRAN HERMANO" thought maybe not totally incorrect, is something as Spanish person would simply NO say in any case and in any situation

Is like that other name we were discussing a few weeks ago (I cant remember what about it) where I also told you that whatever you were saying (or somebody else as I cant remember) was NO wrong but simply we would NOT say it

Jesus
By Maria B
As far as I understand it, "gran" before a noun changes the meaning from "big" to "great" (nearest English equivalents). If I say "un libro grande" I mean "A big book", if I say "un gran libro" I mean "a great book" (as in literary worth rather than size). So, I suppose, "Gran Hermano" reflects the idea of an all-seeing, all-knowing system, rather than just your brother who happens to be bigger than you.

Jane
Far be it from me to interrupt here...!

But, for what it's worth, I have to agree with Jane here, Jesus.

It does sound wrong, yes, even to me and I am no expert.

But when George Orwell originally used the expression 'Big Brother' in his book, it probably didn't sound right either. As we all know, it is now part of the language. :)
By Jesus
Jane C wrote:Okay, okay, okay ....

but it has, in that form, become part of Spanish popular culture, when referring to that programme .......

Jane
I dont know that. Could well be but I never heard anyone here in Spain talking/commenting about big brother in any language so I was not really refering to the program but as I see how this could confuse many of the followers of this section of the forum, was saying to whoever thought that gran hermano is correct, that it was not

sorry - I just messed as usual :D

Jesus
By Jesus
Maria B wrote:

But, for what it's worth, I have to agree with Jane here, Jesus.

It does sound wrong, yes, even to me and I am no expert.

:)
Well, in that case Maria, as for the second line of words, you are agreeing with me :D
By Ellsam
Perhaps we could agree that Jesus is correct grammatically, but that the expression is an idiomatic translation of the the programme name.

E
Last edited by Ellsam on Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Maria B
Yes then we're all happy :lol: :lol: :lol:
By Ellsam
Just a thought :idea:

I believe the actual title of George Orwell's book is 'Big Brother is watching you' so perhaps we ought to say,

El Gran Hermano es vigilando usted. :wink:

I know it's probably wrong - but I've enjoyed myself :!:
By blanconegro
Ellsam wrote:Just a thought :idea:

I believe the actual title of George Orwell's book is 'Big Brother is watching you' so perhaps we ought to say,

El Gran Hermano es vigilando usted. :wink:

I know it's probably wrong - but I've enjoyed myself :!:
Ehm... the actual title of the book is "1984" :roll:

You Have proved you are an Idiot. :)

New Torrevieja forum problem

It's back up. Owner says the original issue was wi[…]

A short video of the works currently in progress o[…]

AEPD Data Protection

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I tak[…]

We are all in limbo again .. :roll:

www.torrevieja.co.uk

Thanks to Gary for everything and best wishes for […]