Torrevieja Forum

This Section Is Available For Sponsorship.
This section is for those that are learning the Spanish language.

Moderator: Moderator

By Info
Jane as you speak 'Asturian' I think this word comes from there:

the dictionary says babieca 1. adj simple-minded 2. n.m/f idiot dolt

Now neither of those fit the context of this sentence

Interview with "El Cid" (Manuel Jesús Cid) the bullfighter:
Article headed with the sentence: "Mi mujer es mi Babieca"

P. Quién es su Babieca?
R. Mi caballo ahora mismo, mi cómplice, la que está siempre a mid lado y escucha mis penas y mis alegrías es mi mujer. Es mi Babieca, ahora mismo.

So what is a Babieca as understood in Spain.

Bee
By Jane C
Well, with grateful thanks to Google.es I can confidently tell you that Babieca is the name of the original El Cid's horse! (Phew!!!) By the look of it, they had a pretty good relationship. In the Charlton Heston version didn't the horse ride as though El Cid was still alive when he was in fact dead?? Pretty sensible horse, not at all babieca.

The word comes from baba or babas which are dribbles. There's an expression often used to describe the way a parent or grandparent might adore a child "Se le caen las babas" More or less that they love them so much they dribble. Doesn't sound so good in English.

Jane
By Info
Thank you Jane very informative that. I am not too well up on El Cid, but I don't think there is anywhere in Spain where he hasn't been. I guess so a 'Babieca' is a "trusty friend" at least I hope he wasn't calling his wife "a horse" :(

Somehow Babieca or Rosinante don't cut it like Trigger and Silver

Bee
By Jane C
I guess so a 'Babieca' is a "trusty friend" at least I hope he wasn't calling his wife "a horse"
Actually, if you read it carefully, this is exactly what he's calling his wife. The equivalent of saying "my wife is my trusted stead". Not sure I'd be too flattered!

Still, better than calling her "una yegua" (a mare) which more or less means a fat cow!!

Someone I once knew was thanking a Spanish friend for something and said "Gracias, eres un caballo" - meaning "Thank you, you're a horse" (she meant to say, "Thank you, you're a gentleman"). He didn't like her very much (in fact none of us did) and replied "y tú eres una yegua". We shouldn't have sniggered really :oops:

Jane

sounds interesting

AEPD Data Protection

Good point Bee, it was about 12 years ago that I t[…]

www.torrevieja.co.uk

Thanks to Gary for everything and best wishes for […]

Brexit should be cancelled. We all know it is a ba[…]

colinas del lago

We will probably never know how it all worked out […]

There is no regular bus airport to Dream Hills bu[…]

This site is closing at the end of this month, s[…]

Images of the Crib/Belen