Torrevieja Forum

This Section Is Sponsored By WWW.COSTABLANCABIKEHIRE.COM
Here you can ask questions about anything that relates to Torrevieja.
Anything not related to Torrevieja can be posted in General Chat.

Moderator: Moderator

By Info
Not sure Sealord if you know the cost of the import and you just want someone to do it or you are starting from scratch. This is from my "might come in useful some day file" IMPORTING and CHANGING A UK/Irish Reg car to Spain. I think it was kitty gal who posted it. Bee

Percentage tax   Emission
0 % less than 120 grams of CO2 per kilometre
4.75% from 120 to 160 grams of CO2 per kilometre
9.75% from 160 to 200 grams of CO2 per kilometre
12% not rated for CO2 emissions 14.75 more than 200 grams of CO2 per kilometre

Each of the above tax rates is applied to the original price of the vehicle, with a reduction for each year of its age up to ten years, e.g. 20 per cent after the first year, 30 per cent after two years, 50 per cent after four years, and 80 per cent after ten years.

This is the sequence of how to do it:
1. ITV
2. Get a Cambio of Matriculation cert from the ITV station saying that vehicle is currently going through re registration process
Next: To Hacienda to get Import Tax bill and a Modelo 576
Next: Go and pay tax at bank
Next: Back to Hacienda with receipt to pay tax
Next: To my local Ayuntamiento to pay road tax
Next: Matriculation: Take Modelo 576 back to Tráfico and give Tráfico the following documents:
• Application form for Matriculation (http://www.dgt.es)
• Identification - NIE / Passport
• Documentation of vehicle (Blue and pink sheet ITV card)
• Road Tax (proof of payment)
• Modelo 576 (registration tax
• Ficha Technica form issued by the ITV for vehicles purchased in the EU
• Original document of the vehicle V5

Give all papers to Tráfico and go back when told ( next day?) to pick up Permiso de Circulación from the same desk.
At same time, pick up new log book with new reg embossed
Next: Go and get new Number plates
Next: Send V5 back to Swansea to deregister it in UK and 'lose' UK number plates.

It was very straightforward. You do need some Spanish though- no one spoke to me in English at all. Mind you, I didn't ask them to!

I reckon I saved a fair few hundred Euros on the figures I was quoted for someone to do it for us.

The cost very much depends on the type of car you have. The SUMA varies dependent upon emissions. Also how long you have been here with the car.

What is missing from the list above, is what costs the most and can be the most frustrating.

I am referring to headlamps, of course. On a very few cars, the beam can just be properly adjusted to point to the right, but they are few and far between. On the vast majority of vehicles, at least something has to be changed, whether it's just a replacement of the glass lens or a complete headlamp unit. Sometimes you can buy them at a breakers yard, but that can be time consuming and fruitless, so most people opt for new lamps supplied and fitted by a dealer; and the costs vary hugely between different car manufacturers.

Also, do not forget that the rear fog light has to be on the left hand side of the car; a few UK vehicles had only a single fog lamp on the right rear for some reason.

By sealord
Thanks, what it is, a friend is driving over from UK, in a UK reg car, MOT runs out in July, he was hoping to stay longer than 6 months, he asked what he should do, think he said would like to drive back in October.
By Info
No point in changing the plates on the car if he is going back to the UK again. You are supposed to register with Policia Nacional if you stay for more than 3 months or 90 day. I suppose he could get around it by crossing over the border to either France, Portugal or Gibraltar in that way he would have left Spain and re-entered. How far in advance can you take your MOT in the UK. Trafico now have access to UK car details so he would have to take his chances on the MOT. It would be 3 months out of date so he could risk the car being seized. On the other hand how much notice is taken by anyone about these matters nowadays if you keep your head down. The only thing is if you are driving around in a foreign registered car you are drawing attention to yourself from the powers on high. Someone else may be able to give a more creative answer. Bee
By Lincoln45
Info wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:10 pm
No point in changing the plates on the car if he is going back to the UK again. You are supposed to register with Policia Nacional if you stay for more than 3 months or 90 day. I suppose he could get around it by crossing over the border to either France, Portugal or Gibraltar in that way he would have left Spain and re-entered. How far in advance can you take your MOT in the UK. Trafico now have access to UK car details so he would have to take his chances on the MOT. It would be 3 months out of date so he could risk the car being seized. On the other hand how much notice is taken by anyone about these matters nowadays if you keep your head down. The only thing is if you are driving around in a foreign registered car you are drawing attention to yourself from the powers on high. Someone else may be able to give a more creative answer. Bee
You can have your car MOT'd anytime you want
By strolling_minstrel
You can't just nip over the border and start the clock again. The 6 months is in any one year, not 6 months, away for a day and back again.

That 6 months also applies to the person as well. 6 months in any one year and not just Jan to Dec.

If the car is registered on Spanish plates plus all the changes it would be de-registered in UK. Going back to UK and he'd have to do it all over again the other way round to get it back on UK plates.
By Info
Problem solved so Sealord as Lincoln45 has given the answer. Get the MOT done before he travels and he has no worries. Bee
By Lincoln45
The other thing to think of is car Insurance. Most wont give you full cover for longer than 6 months, some even a lot less, unless you pay a premium. Saga does car insurance which covers for the full year when driving in the EU.
By jimny1
There are still uk cars driving around where i live and the same ones have been here longer than 6 months
The giveaway is the lack of the GB sticker you see when a car has just arrived by boat, unless i am wrong and they are not required anymore ?
If people want to break the law they should at least have the intelligence to make the vehicle look as if it has just entered the country
I am sure the guardia will notice this
By Lincoln45
Another thing to consider is the International Driving Permits, which will be required if there is a no deal Brexit.
This forum

Yes Peace and Love. Roses not brickbats 😊 Bee

Shamima Begum - the teenager who fled London to j[…]

All sorted now Thanks

Thank you all. We managed to get them at the tile[…]

What a great , interesting thread to read. Sorry F[…]

Getting new road tax

Deb64 it says on the SUMA site that depending on w[…]

Topic locked

The only `bizzare ' thing about this forum is th[…]

Capital Gains Tax Question

Thanks Bee Interesting reading!! Mark