Torrevieja Forum

This Section Is For Anything To Do With Electronics

Moderator: Moderator

By chrisz
Recently there has been talk in the press about new mobile speed camera's that are hard to detect as they are so small.

My satnav gives me details of fixed camera's plus sites where mobile camera's are sometimes used.

However these new ones sound a bit sneaky so I'm wondering whether to invest in a separate radar detector and was wondering if anyone has any experience of using radar detectors?

With a Santander to Torrevieja drive coming up soon I'd like to avoid a ticket (I know I could stick to the speed limit but the roads are so often clear).

Many thanks
By freddo
chrisz wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:06 am
Recently there has been talk in the press about new mobile speed camera's that are hard to detect as they are so small.

My satnav gives me details of fixed camera's plus sites where mobile camera's are sometimes used.

However these new ones sound a bit sneaky so I'm wondering whether to invest in a separate radar detector and was wondering if anyone has any experience of using radar detectors?

With a Santander to Torrevieja drive coming up soon I'd like to avoid a ticket (I know I could stick to the speed limit but the roads are so often clear).

Many thanks
It is because of idiots like you that people are killed in car crashes, the speed limit is there for a good reason
It is because of idiots like you that people are killed in car crashes, the speed limit is there for a good reason
Sorry Freddo, but that is the majority of time is not true. Speed does not kill, bad driving does. I drive to the conditions of commonsense.

Many speed cameras are put in to maximise revenue and never so much as saved a life or prevented an accident. In fact in the UK there has been a few issues with the amounts of signs/cameras which it has been argued caused more accidents as paranoid road users spend more time looking at the side of the road for speed signs/cameras, than they do looking at the road = more accidents.

So, innapropriate speed kills, put up cameras outside schools, where pedestrians are vunerable etc - put them up, on an open road for no reason at all and IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY - they bullshit you with the safety, we are beyond this now - there's enough evidence around to show where many cameras are put in are a nonsense and have no benefit in safety .

So, I have a Mivue dash cam, which has a built in radar database (not a detector), but you can add locations if not in the database, to remind you where any cameras are, should you forget. I do find it useful, as do approach speed cameras as it does make you aware of you local speeds and I know what speed I should do on the road, rather than panicking when see a speed camera and not sure what speed I should be doing.

Something like this, few different options available.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mio-TouchScree ... ords=mivue

I would also like to state speed perception is very different in what vehicle you are in & in a modern car with decent performance, it is quite easy to creep over the local limits without noticing it - which is why the councils put up the speed cameras on wide empty roads, where the only thing you are likely to hit is a hedgehog if crossing the road!
Speed limits are part of the Law so do not break it

Yes, but when the law is used for profit and not the people it supposedly represents, I reserve my option to ignore bullshit and use my own brain ;-)

Though shalt not murder is hardly in the same ballpark as 5kms over the speed limit :D

Smoking cigarettes is legal, but that kills 100,000's each year, but that's ok as it's LEGAL.

I'm just being cheeky Freddo, I do agree with safe driving, but I don't believe all the speed cameras are put in for safety.
By reagan
Speed limits are a guide not a target ,and as all cars not the police ones ,never have their speedometer calibrated each day so you can get away with 10%over the limit in the UK but if you work it out say for 100 miles the difference in time by driving at 60mph and 70 mph is so small so why break the law
By rspltd
Not any more , I'm afraid
Speeding fines

Under the new rules, which were introduced on April 24, drivers can be charged up to 175 per cent of their weekly wage.

There is a cap of £1,000 on minor speeding offences or up to £2,500 for major ones.

A three band system will determine the severity of an offence and corresponds to different charges.

These charges are calculated on a percentage basis.

A minor offence constitutes a band A charge. Band A charges are for drivers who exceed the stated speed limit between one and 10mph.

So, if a driver travels 31mph up to 40mph in a 30mph zone, they can be charged between 25 per cent and 75 per cent of their weekly income.

Drivers who exceed the stated speed limit by 11mph up to 20mph will be charged between 75 per cent and 125 per cent of their wage.

Major offences, which are for speed limit breaches of up 22mph and above will be charged between 125 per cent and 175 per cent of their week wage.

In addition to the variable fee motorists could land themselves with a driving offence of this nature, they could also receive between three and six penalty points.

By the way the difference in time between 60mph and 70 mph is nearly 15 minutes.
RED days

Same as every year 1st & 6 Jan 19 Th March !st[…]

Pimientos restaurant and terrace

Used to be very good but now overpriced and with […]

Get an Expansion account with Sabadell you have to[…]

Useless, useless.

True ! - I suppose that just encourages him ? :D

Leslie Grantham Dies

Jimbo - it would seem apparant that Mr Jones's &qu[…]

I've got nothing to hide so dont care who is stori[…]

3 bikes for sale

1 x mountain bike reasonable condition 26” -[…]