Torrevieja Forum

To Sponsor This Section, Please Contact Gary.
Anything Relating To Schools Within The Torrevieja Area.

Moderator: Moderator

By lesley1802
Hi

We are looking at the Mar Azul school but the only info I can find from the forum is from a few years back and some recent posts about books / exams etc. What I am looking for is to speak to parents with kids at the school just now and get a personal view of the school. My daughters are 13 and 12 and would be due to start in September.

Similarly, if you would recommend other schools would like to know why etc (we have researched them all online but the personal experiences and views are just as important)

Any help gratefully appreciated

Many thanks

Lesley
By spanbod
Lesley

Unless things have changed recently, Mar Azul "school" operates without the proper accreditation and legal paperwork from the regional goverment in Valencia who are the only authority that can provide the licences for a school to operate in the area. This is one of the reasons that the school was forced to relocate from Torrevieja to San Miguel.

Although I have read that the majority of both the students at the school and their parents are happy with the school, I personally would be concerned that the school is operating illegally and therefore no legal protection.
By lesley1802
spanbod wrote:Lesley

Unless things have changed recently, Mar Azul "school" operates without the proper accreditation and legal paperwork from the regional goverment in Valencia who are the only authority that can provide the licences for a school to operate in the area. This is one of the reasons that the school was forced to relocate from Torrevieja to San Miguel.

Although I have read that the majority of both the students at the school and their parents are happy with the school, I personally would be concerned that the school is operating illegally and therefore no legal protection.
Thanks for this - I have read up on it all but its the parents perspective I am after just now so I can make an informed and accurate decision before meeting the school.

Thanks

Lesley
By CostaKate
My daughter is 12. I moved her from El Limonar (where she was for 1 year and never really settled) to Mar Azul last September. She is thriving there.

The teachers are dedicated and although you will read many stories about licencing issues etc the schools results speak for themselves.

They have recently had a very successful (I believe) inspection by National Association of British Schools in Spain. Perhaps you could get more information from them.

From a parents point of view I would not hesitate in recommending the school for your daughters. Please feel free to PM me if you have any specifics you need answers to.
By lesley1802
Thanks Kate

I spoke to them this morning and couldn't have been more helpful. We are now planning a visit in May with the school :) It's been helpful to get the parents perspective - so looks like they will be going into year 8 and year 7 in September :)

Thanks again

Lesley
By ontheway2
I can second what kate has said, although we are back in the UK now my son and daughter went to Mar Azul for 3 years and have fond memories of the teachers there. They settled back in to school in UK with no problems or catching up to do, I am so glad that I made the decision to send them there despite the licencing problems.
By landlady
Our daughter went to Mar Azul for her final two years so she could study and take IGCSE´s, having attended a local Spanish school since the age of 8. She was very happy there and came out with more than 5 IGCSE´s at A to C which meant she could go to the UK college she wanted to finish her studies. We were particularly impressed with how she greatly improved her English in Mar Azul, which was behind having been in a Spanish school half her school life.

She has just finished her two year college course and is coming back to Spain with three distinction stars and a commendation in her Btec sports development and excellence, and has more than enough points to go to a good university if she wished, even without the two extra Spanish and Psychology CS exams she tagged on last year.

We felt we made the right decision in taking her out of the Spanish school and putting her into Mar Azul when we did. It will be difficult finding a good job here for her, but after a couple of years doing casual work and gaining experience, at least she has those qualifications in her back pocket to find a better job in other Countries if she can´t here in the future.
By gary71gary
I cannot comment on the school, but I have to put this out there about the "college". They are a complete waste of time and money! Throughout the entire year , they could not get a timetable right without crossing lessons, I mean, how can a student possibly be in two different classes at the same time AND THERE IS ONLY AROUND 30 COLLEGE STUDENTS IN TOTAL!!!...Inevitably he ended up missing lessons!! Some lessons they are asked to take their "A" level study, in with a class of year 9 or 10's!! This carried on through the year, until exam time.....

One teacher tells you you are entered for an exam, another tells you that you are not, there was no communication as to when exams were, or for how long they were, different members of staff constantly contradicting each other.

In all, it was a nightmare, a waste of an academic year, and around €4000....
By Menina
Lesley, perhaps this may help you to understand the education system in Spain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Spain
Mar Azul appears to be an independent school and some of the best schools in Spain would be classified as such. It simply means that they do not receive government subsidies to operate, as in the case of the "colegio concertado".
I cannot give you an opinion about the school, but I know Landlady and I would certainly trust her advice based on experience.
Also, the school offers bilingual education, something that cannot be obtained through a public school in Spain, as there are no resources to achieve this.
It is an important consideration, as today's education is becoming increasingly international and English is considered a "lingua franca" that allows students to study throughout the world. Having two international languages such as Spanish and English will certainly give your children very many options in the future.
Also, it is very difficult to maintain native tongue proficiency and expansion unless the student receives proper tuition. Language maintenance at home is very difficult unless parents have relevant knowledge in language tuition, are able to organise a real study program and have plenty of willpower and patience.
I wish you good luck in your endeavours.
By Deb64
My oldest son, this past school year has been to Mar Azul college side of the shool for blended learning, two evenings a week.
Today he got his igcse results from the school and we are all very please with the results he has came out with and can now go on to study for his A levels at college in the U.K.
After spending five yeas in a Spanish school he was also able to take his A level in Spanish with out any lessons for it and now has that under his belt, this is something he would never have been able to achive without his Spanish schooling.
I can only honestly say that the teaching staff at the school are very helpful, and without this type of school offering a U.K education many children wouldn't cope going through the Spanish system and would fail.
In our case my son needs U.K qualification to enable him to join the Royal Airforce or any of the other services as they don't recognise the Spanish Baccalaureate.
By Deb64
Menina wrote:
Deb64 wrote: In our case my son needs U.K qualification to enable him to join the Royal Airforce or any of the other services as they don't recognise the Spanish Baccalaureate.
Your last paragraph comes as a surprise, as British Universities accept the Spanish Baccalaureate as suitable entry level. Here is an example
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/ug/applyi ... soutsideuk
Yes you are correct in saying that some universities will accept the European baccalaureate.The international baccalaureate is more widely accepted and this is the case with the U.K armed forces hence him having to go down the route of the IGCSE and A levels.
By dreamteam
HI

WE ARE MOVING TO SPAIN IN APRIL AND AFTER READING YOUR POSTS I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS.I HAVE 3 KIDS,14,6 AND 4.SHOULD WE ENROL OLDEST IN MAR AZUL AND THE OTHER 2 IN A SPANISH SCHOOL?
IS THERE A COST FOR GOING TO MAR AZUL SCHOOL AND DO YOU HAVE TO BE IN A CATCMENT AREA TO GO TO THIS SCHOOL.

CHEERS
Importing our motorhome

Does anyone know if the Amanda mentioned in the pr[…]

Que ?

Drive past with San Miguel on your left then turn[…]

Tablet to Tv

Have a look at the Apple lightning digital av ada[…]

Thanks Capricorn91. That will be a help to everybo[…]

locksmith needed please

Here is a post with a couple of contacts http://ww[…]

Electricity

on a supply of 5.75KW P COST IS 0.198071 €/[…]