Torrevieja Forum

Tele Tech Gif

In This Section You Can Discuss Photography And Post Your Own Photographs, However They Must Be Thumbnails Or They Will Get Deleted.

Moderator: Moderator

By nick29
But which one?
I need some help please. I want to know the best way to store and edit photo's on my laptop.
I presently plug my Canon Eos 550D into my laptop and up comes the camera software which is pretty naff. My photos are then shown in boxes for me to select which ones to download. It then downloads direct to windows 'My Pictures' and creates a new file. I can't edit properly in windows so I then open up Picassa. So I now have three places that are storing my photo's (Canon software, My pictures and Picassa). Of course then to post a photo on a forum or website etc I need to create a new size and thumbnail which means I've had to create an account with imageshack (as recommended on here!), post my photo on there and get the HTML code etc. I don't like imageshack so I've gone to Flickr aarrgghh!!
Basically what is the simplest, easiest, free-ist way to edit and store photo's?

TIA
By bigjoe
The first things I would say is get a card reader or maybe your laptop has a built in reader if it has use it. Two reasons for this.

1: You don’t have to use the Canon software.

2: And more importantly, a USB lead is designed for data transfer and to charge items amongst things. This can cause problems with your camera. I am Chairman of a camera club and over the last couple of years I know of 2 case's where a camera connected to a computer via a USB, the electronics have fried. So please get a card reader they cost from less than €10.
By crummy
many lap tops have a small slit in the front or side. You can take out the memory card from your Canon and insert it in the slot... it should recognize it right away and ask then you can store the photos where you want.

Photoshop is the best (and most complicated) imaging software, but you can create magic on it.

But for beginners I use Paint.net. It's like Photoshop for infants. But it does almost everything I need. It spins images around, lightens and darkens them... re sises them, and much more.

.. but take it slow and easy and find which is best for you... but manily... have fun... :D
By nick29
Big Joe - Thanks that's a really interesting and disturbing revelation about connecting my camera with a USB. I shall definately consider a card reader. Also a relief that I don't have to use the canon software. My camera came with a disk and of course I just plopped it into my PC and so whenever I plug my camera in up it pops! I did wonder about the software so thanks again for confirming.

Crummy - I have no card reader on my laptop :( I like the the look of paint.net and it's free which is a bonus!
By crummy
yep, I like free (and simple) as well... :D

Okay.. no slot for the memory card.. a card reader might help... not sure

You could just try connecting the camera to the Laptop.. then open Paint.net, then at the top left under "file" the 4th one down says "Aquire"... put your curser on that and it should recognize the camera right away.. you will see Canon.. just click on that and away you go...

OR.... after you have attached the camera... give it a few seconds and go into "computer" on the desktop, or in the start menu on the laptop.. .. and hopefully it should show the camera or memory card.

Good luck... if you struggle just keep posting and I'm sure people will try to help..

:D
By nick29
crummy wrote: Okay.. no slot for the memory card.. a card reader might help... not sure
Crummy thanks, I've downloaded paint.net v3.5 - WOW it's a big improvement from windows paint!
Think I'll have to do some reading up. Do you use layering, how do you get on?

I do like the idea of a memory card reader. Don't like what big Joe said and they cost almost nothing.
I see the link from paint.net about acquire which is great, I'll give it a go.

Thanks again for your advice.
By crummy
nick29 wrote:
crummy wrote: Okay.. no slot for the memory card.. a card reader might help... not sure
Crummy thanks, I've downloaded paint.net v3.5 - WOW it's a big improvement from windows paint!
Think I'll have to do some reading up. Do you use layering, how do you get on?

I do like the idea of a memory card reader. Don't like what big Joe said and they cost almost nothing.
I see the link from paint.net about acquire which is great, I'll give it a go.

Thanks again for your advice.
You are welcome... For basic photo editing... re-sizing, cropping, effects, brightness, darken, rotate, adjustments, effects etc you won't need layers... so just get used to the basic stuff and see how you get on...

I am not an expert in any way, but manage to get by. The most important thing is - TAKE PHOTOS... and play around with the software. The rest will come naturally...

Just enjoy... :D
Scrabble 2

Store

This or that or other

Top Bottle - table - class

This or That

Glass Stained or wine

words

Drop

New Word Game.

Tone

TV catchup