Torrevieja Forum

Tele Tech Gif

This Section Is Available For Sponsorship.
This section is for those that are learning the Spanish language.

Moderator: Moderator

By Sheff_Blade
I have always found the concept of gender for things that obviously don't have a gender as very strange indeed. Spanish, like many other languages, is a case in point: la casa but el lapiz. I believe in France there's an academy or institution who decides the gender for a new noun, but who pronounces on such things in Spain? Who decided it was el ordenador? Do other spanish-speaking countries always accept their decision?

Similarly, do the Spanish have the same arguments as in the UK about the gender of such words as chairman, mankind, spokesman, policeman?
By jambalaya
The Real Academia Espanola based in Madrid oversees Spanish language in a similar way to the French one. It works with 21 other Spanish speaking countries.
Other regions with different versions have their own colleges. For example the Institut d'Estudis Catalans based in Barcelona and the Valencian Institute in Valencia.
Not such a problem with "gender" words. For example, un portavoz (spokesman) simply becomes una portavoz. A chairman (usually translated as el presidente) simply becomes la presidente and so on.
Whilst gender does have its own rules, some words don't follow them. For exanple el ave and el agua which should be feminine but, because the Spanish run vowels together, they would come out as la ve or la gua which hides the word.
Even cleverer with people like un tendero (shopkeeper) becoming una tendera or el politico (the politician) becoming la politica.
TV catchup

Do you mean can you watch UK catchup TV Services s[…]

Scrabble 2

Prose

This or That

Marble Pillar or Glass

words

Tear

New Word Game.

Ring

Soapy dave

As I said, he never went.....just all of all his […]