Torrevieja Forum

Tele Tech Gif

This Section Is Available For Sponsorship.
This section is for those that are learning the Spanish language.

Moderator: Moderator

By topcats
I need a little help with my Spanish.

I had the following question "Estan vds. de pie o sentados"

I know the answer is "Nosotros estamos de pie"

But, I am a little confused with the question - Estan means they are or are they. So I understand that the question is "are they standing or sitting."

What is confusing me is why Vds. is in the sentence? Vd. meaning you, & Vds. being the plural of you. What does it add to the question?
By shirlie anne
Vd.s is the Spanish abbreviation of ustedes,if you put the verb before the person it becomes a question,if the verb is after the person it becomes a statement,i.e. tu tienes una pluma( you have a pen ) compared to tienes tu una pluma ( do you have a pen )
N.B. Vd is short for usted in the 3rd person format such as el,ella and usted.
Cheers
Shirlies OH
By topcats
Thanks Shirley OH, So would I be right in thinking that the translation of "estan vds. de pie o sentados" is "are you (all) standing or sitting"?

Thanks

Bob
By Mike E
topcats wrote:Thanks Shirley OH, So would I be right in thinking that the translation of "estan vds. de pie o sentados" is "are you (all) standing or sitting"?

Thanks

Bob
Am I right in thinking this is the 'formal' form of address according to the audience?
By maggot
Mike E wrote:
topcats wrote:Thanks Shirley OH, So would I be right in thinking that the translation of "estan vds. de pie o sentados" is "are you (all) standing or sitting"?

Thanks

Bob
Am I right in thinking this is the 'formal' form of address according to the audience?
Yes that's right!
Beach Bars Punta Prima

Just walked past there today and the guys where ta[…]

Charlie

The Sunday before last I saw him and another guy s[…]

Fake Grass

I bought my grass for a good price at the ferret i[…]

go on you know it`s a bargain :roll:

Bicycle for sale

Bifold 5 folding bicycle, hardly used, only 75 eur[…]

Gas Fires

2 Gas Fires for sale 25e each, 1 Silver gas bottle[…]