Torrevieja Forum

This Section Is Available For Sponsorship.
This section is for those that are learning the Spanish language.

Moderator: Moderator

By topcats
I need a little help with my Spanish.

I had the following question "Estan vds. de pie o sentados"

I know the answer is "Nosotros estamos de pie"

But, I am a little confused with the question - Estan means they are or are they. So I understand that the question is "are they standing or sitting."

What is confusing me is why Vds. is in the sentence? Vd. meaning you, & Vds. being the plural of you. What does it add to the question?
By shirlie anne
Vd.s is the Spanish abbreviation of ustedes,if you put the verb before the person it becomes a question,if the verb is after the person it becomes a statement,i.e. tu tienes una pluma( you have a pen ) compared to tienes tu una pluma ( do you have a pen )
N.B. Vd is short for usted in the 3rd person format such as el,ella and usted.
Cheers
Shirlies OH
By topcats
Thanks Shirley OH, So would I be right in thinking that the translation of "estan vds. de pie o sentados" is "are you (all) standing or sitting"?

Thanks

Bob
By Mike E
topcats wrote:Thanks Shirley OH, So would I be right in thinking that the translation of "estan vds. de pie o sentados" is "are you (all) standing or sitting"?

Thanks

Bob
Am I right in thinking this is the 'formal' form of address according to the audience?
By maggot
Mike E wrote:
topcats wrote:Thanks Shirley OH, So would I be right in thinking that the translation of "estan vds. de pie o sentados" is "are you (all) standing or sitting"?

Thanks

Bob
Am I right in thinking this is the 'formal' form of address according to the audience?
Yes that's right!

Slight misalignment cable degredation spiders in f[…]

If my memory serves me well .. Max also did work[…]

Sick men of Europe

Recent strikes seen in France recently dwarf anyth[…]

I mention the manifesto because the reality is tha[…]

Bye Bye Spain

Good luck with your new life in Germany, Chas.

Thanks for replying but they are sorted now.

Replacing wooden patio doors

Simply Doors now in San Luis (moved from Quesada).[…]

vinyl flooring

sorry but they won't distribution throughout Spain[…]

New Advertising Slots and Possibilities