Torrevieja Forum

Here you can discuss anything that you wish.
( Within Reason !!!! )

Moderator: Moderator

By Burrababa
pete evans wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:53 pm
That could well be true but UK will still be part of the EU, at least for years to come. The Ireland situation has to be sorted first.
Are you suggesting that we are tied to the EU and have to accept whatever terms they choose to impose on us------just because the Ireland border cannot be a hard one or indeed if it cannot be resolved by technological or any other means?
By Ketron
Pity nobody told Harold Wilson that , back in the 1960's / 1970,s , Mrs N.

As you already know - he closed far more Mines , than Margaret Thatcher did .
Damn Labour .. I thought they were the Party of the Working Man ? :lol:
By Burrababa
pete evans wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:49 am
You need to look at the bigger picture.
That is the bigger picture--if the UK allows itself to be restricted by the NI border--then we will be blackmailed by the EU forever------

unless of course------you can enlighten us about the bigger picture ?? :?:
By Burrababa
1995: Tony Blair definitively pledges an end to zero hours contracts
In the second ever speech to the Labour Party conference as leader, Tony Blair pledges that "part-time employees will no longer be treated as second-class citizens. There will be an end to zero-hours contracts ."
Which obviously never happened.
By old boy
Mrs Nelson wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:33 am
With investment the British mining industry could have been made safer and probably more economical, what are we going to do when the Tory donor Putin turns the gas off ?

With respect, and I know that I have said it previously, but the deep mine industry in the UK is fundamentally uneconomical, partially because the UK's health and safety is amongst the best in the world. But the real reason is that in most of the mines it just took too long for the miners to reach the coal face.

When something like a third or more of a miner's working day is spent travelling underground before he can actually start his job; i.e. extracting coal, then it just makes the product too damn expensive. Especially when you consider that the exact same product can be purchased from a number of countries who can supply it far cheaper because they don't have the high safety attitude that exists in the UK, and because their workers are prepared to accept considerably lower wages.

All of that, coupled with the fact that coal usage in the UK is dwindling in an attempt to cap carbon emissions, mean that there is no real requirement for deep mine coal anymore, and what coal of that type is required is mainly sourced from the few open cast mines in the UK.
By old boy
Mrs Nelson wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:35 pm
What are we going to do when the people we buy our stuff off snub us ?

As for the mines you guys need to think out of the box, the lads who work on the oil rigs don’t travel to work every day, they live on site,

:wink:

Assuming that your comment was not meant to be taken seriously, hence the wink smilie, I won't bother responding.
By Burrababa
Mrs Nelson wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:35 pm
What are we going to do when the people we buy our stuff off snub us ?

As for the mines you guys need to think out of the box, the lads who work on the oil rigs don’t travel to work every day, they live on site,

:wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one!!!

Mrs Nelson proves that she can think out of the box :D
jack in the box.jpg
By joncastle
pete evans wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:39 pm
So why do I get far fewer Euros to the pound? Thats the important figure.
Surely if you live in Spain you house and money in the bank is in euros, only the uk pension would need to be converted and the peanuts that would be insignificant in comparison.
Useless, useless.

Whatever dipstick ... As if I'm bothered. :lol:[…]

Wanted , fan

Hi Karen I have a large fan, ideal for a desk, I n[…]

Sick men of Europe

Kinchy I’m not going to get in to deep deba[…]

Leslie Grantham Dies

Oh you silly person. Did I not accept that I made […]

Leprosy in the EU

The sick man of Europe is the Elephant in the room[…]

Here, after 6pm we have TWO cars and FOUR poli[…]

sunset beach