Torrevieja Forum

This Section Is Sponsored By WWW.COSTABLANCABIKEHIRE.COM
Here you can ask questions about anything that relates to Torrevieja.
Anything not related to Torrevieja can be posted in General Chat.

Moderator: Moderator

By Beardyboy
Thought I would share this with you.
My husband’s passport was due to expire in March so he was aware that you cannot travel using your passport when it is due to expire. Next step, Internet. Some of you will be aware of this but some may not, you can take a photo of yourself for the new passport and it may be accepted or you may be asked to retake it. After a couple of attempts, his photo was accepted. The various questions answered, payment made and all was put into motion. A date was given for delivery and yes, within 10 days, the new passport was delivered and the old one too.
Gone are the days when you had to go and sit and wait in your local passport office , I think this service was wonderful.
By cyclemad
We have heard that, renewing your passport using this method, you cannot add the unused portion of your old passport. Was this the case with this renewal please?
By Wendy
Not quite sure what you mean, you do have to send the passport that is expiring with the application but if you want it back they will send it with the corner cut off, but we got ours 5 months early and it was from that date up until the old passport date plus 10 years so you dont lose any time.
By Beardyboy
After completing online, they provide an address for you to send the passport which is due to expire to. As the previous poster said, a corner is cut off the old passport and returned to you within days...probably done to prevent mistakenly taking the old / out of date passport withyou when travelling.
Sorry, no idea what you were referring to initially.
By cyclemad
Conrad wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:12 pm
which ever way you do it the unused portion can no longer be used
I enquired at the post room in Benijófar and they said they can add up to 6 months unused portion, IE the new passport can last for up to 10 years and 6 months. Is this true for doing it online as the OP did?
By freddo
Oliver Smith, digital travel editor
13 SEPTEMBER 2018 • 10:01AM
Follow
The Government has been accused of short-changing millions of British travellers with an unannounced change to its passport renewal policy.

Until this month a Briton renewing their passport would have had any time left over on their old document, up to a maximum of nine months, added to their new one. Someone whose passport expires on March 1, 2019, for example, would have been able to renew today and still be handed a fresh document valid until March 1, 2029. Now, however, a new passport issued to them today will only be valid until September 13, 2028.
By Beardyboy
Weird, why have they done this? I checked my husband’s passport just now which was due to expire in March 2019 and the new one is given as valid from 20/13/2018 until 20/12/2028 so he was cheated of 3 months! More money in the public purse doing it their way.
By Conrad
Beardyboy wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:19 pm
Weird, why have they done this? I checked my husband’s passport just now which was due to expire in March 2019 and the new one is given as valid from 20/13/2018 until 20/12/2028 so he was cheated of 3 months! More money in the public purse doing it their way.
All to do with brexit.
By Conrad
don't look very hard then

The Home Office finally acknowledged the rule change four days after it was introduced.

A spokesperson said: “To meet international guidelines relating to maximum passport validity, Her Majesty’s Passport Office no longer carries over any validity from a previous passport.

“This will ensure that people travelling abroad will be compliant with border entry requirements around the world.”

The move appears to be a belated effort to conform with the Schengen Border Code. These are the rules which are likely to regulate access for British travellers to most EU nations after Brexit.
By hotspur
Applied on Online last Wednesday receive confirmation application successful on Friday, received replacement passport on Monday . Yesterday.
Application was for a renewal lost period from date of issue to expiry of old passport due May 2019.
Not an issue for me, service online was exceptional
Where did my post go?

Can anyone help me complete the form to change my […]

If you don't get sorted with dave10035 here is a r[…]

My new polycarbonate roof.

Manuel and another young man replaced our polycarb[…]

Free patio sliding doors.

Someone has contacted me so these are no longer av[…]

Iceland overseas

Just a question out of curiosity Does anyone know […]

Just back from Dolores! If I had known earlier.we[…]

Why