Torrevieja Forum

This Section Is Sponsored By WWW.COSTABLANCABIKEHIRE.COM
Here you can ask questions about anything that relates to Torrevieja.
Anything not related to Torrevieja can be posted in General Chat.

Moderator: Moderator

By harrodene
In the last few days I have heard 3 or 4 different rumours about mercadona playa flamenca shutting down completely or even expanding since most of the shops have now closed around the main area of the shop. Then yesterday I heard they are putting in a new road through mercadona car park :lol:
Does anybody know anything definite as certainly nothing in the papers.

Tia
By Deb64
I dont know what is happening at Mercadona but what you have heard about them putting a new road through the carpark does make sense. Looking at the plans for the Playa Flamenca village which is to be built by the TM builder has the entrance just off the roundabout and this gets congested now with out having all the extra traffic from this housing complex.
I think we will just have to wait and see unless some one else knows more.
By old boy
I don't know what is happening to the mini mall, but it needs to be borne in mind that Mercadona are only tenants in the building. The landlord also owns the building across the road that houses Maxx Gym and various other properties in the area.

But what I do know is that Mercadona and all of the other tenants in the mall were bitterly opposed to the Boulevard being built, saying at the time that it would kill their businesses. I believe that has largely come true. And don't forget that Mercadona has another store just down the road, which I thought that they were mad to open some years ago. It immediately cut the Playa Flamenca turnover considerably.
By Jimbo1916
old boy wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:21 am
. And don't forget that Mercadona has another store just down the road, which I thought that they were mad to open some years ago. It immediately cut the Playa Flamenca turnover considerably.
Whereabouts is there `another store just down the road .. As far as I´m aware the nearest one is in Los Balcones .. hardly round the corner. So how did it ` immediately cut the Playa Flamenca turnover considerably.`

It`s 7 kms away.
By GMITCH2000
Jimbo1916 wrote:Whereabouts is there `another store just down the road .. As far as I´m aware the nearest one is in Los Balcones .. hardly round the corner. So how did it ` immediately cut the Playa Flamenca turnover considerably.`

It`s 7 kms away.
It is next to Lidl on one of the two roundabouts just south of La Zenia Boulevard.
By old boy
Jimbo1916 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:26 pm
Thank you . I stand corrected, I know where it is now.

Still hardly ´down the road`though.

If you insist on being pedantic, it's a few hundred metres up one road and a few hundred metres down the intersecting road. A stroll of perhaps 10 to 15 minutes at the most.
By Jimbo1916
I challenge you to walk from Calle Gerardo Rueda , Playa Flamenca to Calle Turmalina , Los Dolces in 10 minutes ... Unless you jogged.

It would take that in a car ...although I do that journey both ways on a regular basis, so I might give it a try. :wink:

Obviously we differ on the meaning of ´down the road `
By old boy
Stop being so melodramatic - it's a two to three minute drive at most. If it takes you fifteen minutes to get from one to the other, I strongly suggest that you do walk, because it will be quicker.

However, my contention is that Mercadona's store manager in Playa Flamenca warned his employers that opening the other store so near would have a negative impact on his store's takings, which proved to be correct because they lost most of the customers that came from La Zenia and no new footfall was forthcoming.

And he, along with the other tenants in the mall, objected to the building of Zenia Boulevard because they believed that it would be the death knell of their businesses. And I believe that that prophesy came to be true.
By old boy
You really hate to be wrong, don't you? You state 25 minutes, totally ignoring the shorter route of 18 mins according to Google Maps.

It would be about two hours 25 minutes if you went via Torrevieja!

And even the Map that you so kindly provided, Google calculates that the drive would take 4 minutes rather than the 10 minutes that you claimed.

But this is just irrelevant. The two stores are too close together, and they both are left "fighting" for the same customers. That is the point, not the exact number of centimetres between the two.
By Deb64
I live in playa Flamenca and used to shop in the original mercadona but once they opened the la Zenia one along with Lidl I now do my main shopping there. I still go to the P.F one on a Tuesday as I also put the lottery on.
The route from one to another that Jimbo has put on is the long way round that you would use a car, the quickest route walking is using the cycle path from costa cars. 10mins walking.
By faolteam
old boy wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:15 pm
You really hate to be wrong, don't you? You state 25 minutes, totally ignoring the shorter route of 18 mins according to Google Maps.

It would be about two hours 25 minutes if you went via Torrevieja!

And even the Map that you so kindly provided, Google calculates that the drive would take 4 minutes rather than the 10 minutes that you claimed.

But this is just irrelevant. The two stores are too close together, and they both are left "fighting" for the same customers. That is the point, not the exact number of centimetres between the two.
He Is Like A Spoilt Child .... :lol: :lol: :lol:
By Burrababa
Let's look at this pragmatically
I think the point that Jimbo is making is that the new Mercadona is not really close enough to the Playa Flamenca one to drastically affect its takings and cause it to close --

I am sure the owners did their research before they invested their money in a new store---there are obviously other factors at play here and the cumulative effect were not foreseen-----but who knows----with the new houses next door --maybe they won't have to close after all :wink:
Your opinions

I wouldn’t say kinchy was being pathetic inf[…]

Great News !

we are not at war with anyone other than ourselves[…]

SALT Tour

I am sure they will respect the siesta break from […]

Spanish ads

Don't know about an iPad 2 but an older iPad it's […]

New ITV changes

My pleasure bee

Roll it in glitter Brexit

Not sure why you are talking about Germany Spain?[…]