Torrevieja Forum

This Section Is Sponsored By WWW.COSTABLANCABIKEHIRE.COM
Here you can ask questions about anything that relates to Torrevieja.
Anything not related to Torrevieja can be posted in General Chat.

Moderator: Moderator

By tonygold
probably been done to death on here but i wonder what is the updated advice.
i am a non resident home owner in spain (villamartin). i have banked with sabadell at playa flamenca (formerly cam bank) since i bought here 10 years ago.

i do not have a debit or credit card with them and use my account to pay the usual direct debits etc and i transfer money into the account via transferwise from the UK, and withdraw in cash at branch when needed. i always have a balance of at least €1,000. but i notice i am now being charged around €35 every 3 months for the account. i'm sure not that long ago, it was half that amount.

does anyone know if there is a better (read cheaper!) sabadell current account i could change to, or if not, recommend a local bank (i am near the villamartin golf course) that i can swap hassle-free to, ie: they transfer all your direct debits and payments over for you?

coming over at the end of the week for 2 weeks so it would be an ideal time to look into this.

many thanks.
tonygold wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:51 am
i am a non resident home owner in spain (villamartin). i have banked with sabadell at playa flamenca (formerly cam bank) since i bought here 10 years ago.

i do not have a debit or credit card with them and use my account to pay the usual direct debits etc and i transfer money into the account via transferwise from the UK, and withdraw in cash at branch when needed. i always have a balance of at least €1,000. but i notice i am now being charged around €35 every 3 months for the account. i'm sure not that long ago, it was half that amount.

does anyone know if there is a better (read cheaper!) sabadell current account i could change to, or if not, recommend a local bank (i am near the villamartin golf course) that i can swap hassle-free to, ie: they transfer all your direct debits and payments over for you?

coming over at the end of the week for 2 weeks so it would be an ideal time to look into this.

many thanks.
If you use Transferwise, why not do the same as I did a few months ago, and open a Borderless account with Transferwise, and close your Spanish bank.

I get my bills online from Iberdrola and Agamed and just pay them using my Mastercard debit from Transferwise.

It's all really simple.
By Deb64
Sabadell have different account some with out charges and some very minimal, call in and just say you aren't happy with the bank charges and is there another account you can change to with less charges or non.
By mrmedia
Aye and me. So I switched to the expansion account and now I don’t pay any fees. You have to pay in the €700 a month. They give me 3% refund on utility bills as well but that is maybe €20 a year so it’s not that big a deal.
By tonygold
many thanks for the replies.
not sure an expansion account would work for me as a non residenti would not need to pay in over €8,000 a year but i will definitely ask about any accounts with less charges, so thanks for the tips.
By freddo
there is nothing to stop you transferring it back to uk account or spanish I run a few spanish accounts and transfer the amount required into Sabadell Expansion account then transfer amounts in the others so I get free banking with them
By tonygold
freddo wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:36 am
there is nothing to stop you transferring it back to uk account or spanish I run a few spanish accounts and transfer the amount required into Sabadell Expansion account then transfer amounts in the others so I get free banking with them
good tip freddo, thanks.
By ic
heilan'lassie wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:43 am
tonygold wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:51 am

many thanks.
If you use Transferwise, why not do the same as I did a few months ago, and open a Borderless account with Transferwise, and close your Spanish bank.

I get my bills online from Iberdrola and Agamed and just pay them using my Mastercard debit from Transferwise.

It's all really simple.
That seems like a great idea. Do they charge for paying the utility bills? and/or per transaction?
No charges for using the card to pay bills.
ic wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:08 pm
heilan'lassie wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:14 pm
Thanks for that, but how do you setup standing orders / direct debits with them, if the amounts are invariably different?
You can't set up direct debits / standing orders.
You just have to pay the bills as they come in.
By ic
heilan'lassie wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:32 pm
ic wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:08 pm
heilan'lassie wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:14 pm
Thanks for that, but how do you setup standing orders / direct debits with them, if the amounts are invariably different?
You can't set up direct debits / standing orders.
You just have to pay the bills as they come in.
Thank you.
By soapydave
I would,nt say they are rip off, its just that uk residents are use to free banking,but that's coming to an end soon ,a lot of uk banks are moving towards charging a monthly fee by offering free this and that ,but it aint free is it if theres a monthly charge,
but there are fee less a/cs out there like the expansion account, after all some ones got to pay for the free banking , and its usualy joe public...…………..
its a bit like phone companys saying so many free minits and texts and so much data , it aint free if the monthly contract is say 10€,
Swimming in Torrevieja

The temperature of the sea at the moment is 27de[…]

Apartment Question

ThNks for info

You could try this one. www.torretaxi.com bookings[…]

R.I.P. Chas.

Very Sad to hear that Chas Hodges of Chas 'N Dave […]

My neighbours speak very highly of a company calle[…]

I will be in Torrevieja Monday so I will try the k[…]

No surprises.

Another good and valid post T.V. Technology.

Thanks Kinchy. Oh well , that's Old boy put firml[…]

New Advertising Slots and Possibilities