Torrevieja Forum

This Section Is Sponsored By WWW.COSTABLANCABIKEHIRE.COM
Here you can ask questions about anything that relates to Torrevieja.
Anything not related to Torrevieja can be posted in General Chat.

Moderator: Moderator

By old boy
How do you intend to make the "new" fog light, which for a car in Spain should be on the left hand side, work? Unless, of course, you intend to spend your time in reverse in foggy weather?

There is a strong possibility that the ITV examiner will require you have you rewire the rear lights so that they operate properly, and that may require you fitting replacement light clusters and extending the respective live wires from the fog and reversing lights over.

The ITV staff often take a 'it's more than my job's worth' attitude to these matters. They fear that if they approve something one year, that another examiner will make a formal complaint about that something the next year when it goes in for it's next test. I had a similar problem when I tried to get my car through to put it on Spanish plates, over the headlamps. The dealers had fitted new glass lenses which they claimed met the ITV requirements, but the ITV station refused to pass the car. The dealers' manager then personally took the car up to the ITV station and had a very animated discussion with the ITV manager who admitted that it was probably not a problem, but he was concerned that another examiner may take a different view and make a formal complaint to their bosses to the effect that the car should have never been given an ITV.

It cost a fortune to get the car through, but the only reason I did it was because it was a classic. I cannot see the point otherwise. In fact, there used to be a couple of guys that I knew who imported cars from, mainly, Belgium and Germany because they could pick them up for peanuts there, and nothing was needed, apart from the paperwork and a straightforward ITV, to put them on Spanish plates.
By old boy
I'm not an examiner, but, at a guess, I don't believe that they would accept that. And, by the way, is the new fog lamp with the red tape a 21 watt bulb?

It does need to be borne in mind that the examination for importing a car and changing it on to Spanish plates is considerably more strict than an ordinary ITV. As I wrote before, they wouldn't pass my car even though the dipped beam deflected more than sufficiently to the right. It was because the Spanish require the dipped beam to have a little peak of light on the extreme top right hand side which is supposed to illuminate road traffic signs, and the brand new glass lenses fitted by the dealers didn't produce that little peak.

As Lincoln45 says, why not try to get the two clusters from a breakers? Oh, and what have you done about the headlamps?
By Astra99
Go online. You can buy red bulbs to directly replace the clear 12V 21W 382 lamp. There are also red LED bulbs available which are a direct replacement (with or without a load resistor). Thus, you will not need to do anything to the clear lens. Now, what will become the reversing light, I would suggest you will need to fit (Araldite?) a clear lens over the bare bulb, not only to keep out water. Is it not a requirement to have a lens over the bulb?
HTH
PS What car is it?
By bktayken
Re registering means the spec of the car will be registered on the spanish equivalent of the log book ...I would be very surprised if it passes the ITV inspection with a codged up dremmeled rear light with red paint on the bulb. All the parts need to be technically homologized to meet Spanish standards ....IMO. You need to have original parts fitted.

Brian K
Despicable

Despicable indeed. Just waiting for mrs jone`s […]

Leslie Grantham Dies

I can’t see where I said anyone should die[…]

Sick men of Europe

I wish I had a euro for all the times you said you[…]

We have been residents in Torrevieja for more than[…]

KARIM

If that's the same karim I was waiting for don t b[…]

Here, after 6pm we have TWO cars and FOUR […]

Holes in t-shirt !!!