Torrevieja Forum

This Section Is Sponsored By WWW.COSTABLANCABIKEHIRE.COM
Here you can ask questions about anything that relates to Torrevieja.
Anything not related to Torrevieja can be posted in General Chat.

Moderator: Moderator

By reagan
When we came to Spain we drove our UK reg car here with a certificate from Swansea declaring it exported ,if we take a Spanish reg car to the UK permanently what do we need to do ? who do we notify ?
By Tazzle
All info here
https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

Note that if the car was manufactured for the continent (left hand drive) you will need to replace the headlights ( unless they are fully adjustable) and the speedo. Also insurance will be more expensive. General point on insurance. Most UK insurance companies won't accept NCD earned abroad. Those that do, such as Aviva, will want a letter from the Spanish insurance company, in English, as proof of NCD.
By freddo
Chas I would have thougth there is enought danger on the UK roads without making it worse by driving a LHD car plus the car will be worth far less over there than if you sell it here before you go
I seem to remember it was promised to me :) :) :)
By Tazzle
When we returned to the UK I considered taking my Spanish vehicle. However, after researching the process it soon became obvious that it wasn't worth the effort and expense, and I would have ended up with a steering wheel on the wrong side of the car!!

Second hand values are higher in Spain and I sold my car to Autos Direct in San Miguel. I got substantially more for it than expected and bought the same model car, but a year younger, for the same money in the UK! (And the steering wheel is on the correct side of the car!!!)
By golfman
Tazzle wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:43 pm
When we returned to the UK I considered taking my Spanish vehicle. However, after researching the process it soon became obvious that it wasn't worth the effort and expense, and I would have ended up with a steering wheel on the wrong side of the car!!

Second hand values are higher in Spain and I sold my car to Autos Direct in San Miguel. I got substantially more for it than expected and bought the same model car, but a year younger, for the same money in the UK! (And the steering wheel is on the correct side of the car!!!)
Additionally as well as trading in my Spanish car there, I bought a UK car there at a considerably lower price than the equivalent vehicle in the UK.
I concur too the other comment about insurance, Aviva was the cheapest of the only two I could find to accept the Spanish NCD. The next year I got my insurance here in the UK (after qualifying with UK NCD) with Direct Line at half the price of Aviva!
By soapydave
Liberty Segurous, will insure a uk reg car ,I found far cheaper than a uk company, and included Full European breakdown including in uk , that was my experience
By Tazzle
soapydave wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:16 am
Liberty Segurous, will insure a uk reg car ,I found far cheaper than a uk company, and included Full European breakdown including in uk , that was my experience

They won't insure a UK registered car which is driven permanently in the UK, which is what this thread is about.
By reagan
No this is not what this thread is about ,what I need to know is do I like in the UK need to notify the Spanish authorities I am taking this car to the UK and to trade it in for a British reg car ,why would I drive this car to the UK ? because we want to load it up with personal stuff and suit cases with stuff we will need while we look for a house to buy , the plan is to trade it in for a UK reg car with a tow bar and buy a caravan to use while we search for a property ,and Fred the promise was if we won the lottery
Of course we could trade it in here and get a UK reg car lots available but that would be worse driving a right hand drive car here than driving a left hand drive in the UK and it will not be driven far in the UK, keep your eyes open there will be a lot of good stuff for sale soon but first pick goes to Fred who has been a great help over the years and a better friend
Chas
By Info
Chas I am delighted that you have sold the villa. I hope you won't miss the Spanish sun too much. You can always bring the caravan to the Costa Blanca for the winter like the Germans and the Scandis. You now know where all the best spots are to park your wagon.

Bee
Roll it in glitter Brexit

we need to establish areas of Custom and movement[…]

Noisy neighbours

This is why I suspected this forum only had three[…]

Drawer unit

White drawer unit. VGC 35 euros. Collection from Q[…]

Carrier Needed

I have just used Movers International - http://ww[…]

Wow a house on our urb had the for sale sign go up[…]

Would you trust Labour

Jonesy It looks like you are disillusioned with t[…]