Torrevieja Forum

Tele Tech Gif

This Section Is Sponsored By WWW.COSTABLANCABIKEHIRE.COM
Here you can ask questions about anything that relates to Torrevieja.
Anything not related to Torrevieja can be posted in General Chat.

Moderator: Moderator

By alan p
I purchased a all in one HP computer and it packed in and it was hardly used never to its full potential. After getting quotes for the repair it wasn’t worth it. I think a laptop with a separate mouse is the way to go like what the others forumers have said. Alan.
By bktayken
Mrs Nelson wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:20 am
bktayken wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:54 pm
Mrs Nelson wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:21 pm
Hi. There.

i have a a couple of iPads. I find the lack of in out a pain in the bum, are the androids any better ? Can you print off a boarding pass with a usb equipped printer with android, or do you need a wi if enabled printer ?

Kev
We use the WiFi printer ..which most are these days but to answer your querie just plugged the cable into the printer ,go to settings and select more connections and the cabled printer comes up job done .

Hi there,

Are you plugging your printer in to the socket on your android tablet ? Or are you talking about a computer?

Freddo, you are behind the times mate, :lol: I own a brand new hp laptop, the rear shell has a dozen screws which once removed require guitar plecs to force the shell apart, bit by bit, very precarious, there are no removable panels like back in the olden days to allow access to the hard drive and the ram.

After opening this laptop up, I discovered it has a ssd, not a 2.5 inch unit but a circuit board style hard drive, I can’t plug a normal drive in like you would think, not all machines are the same. Buyer beware.

Kev

:D
Straight into the Tablet socket which is also the charger socket .
By bktayken
pete evans wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:56 pm
Can a tablet do proper computer work? spreadsheets or databases? Essential for business.
Yes mine/the wifes has Excel and Word........everything a laptop has and you can increase memory with an SD card.... load stuff to One Drive and more to much to list
By PeteKnight
If you’re looking for something to do serious work on, including databases, then a tablet isn’t for you. Unless you go for a Microsoft Surface Pro - which are very nice but not very affordable.

I’m not keen on the all-in-on devices. I like to have a bit of flexibility to swap and change components around, which the all-in-ones don’t give you. It’s a bit like buying a TV with a built-in VCR or DVD player - they never really appealed to me. I certainly wouldn't go for something like the HP Slate 21. It’s the worst of both worlds.

I think that if I wanted something smaller than a regular tower, I’d go for a decent laptop and use an external mouse and keyboard (and maybe an external monitor as well). You get portability if and when you want it and if you do as Bee says and go for an i5 plus 8gb of RAM you’ll have a nice fast machine. I’d also go for an SSD rather than a regular hard drive as it improves startup times enormously.

Don’t forget a removeable hard drive or two to do backups of important data/photos and keep one of the external hard drives disconnected when you’re not doing a backup to it, so that it can’t be infected by viruses or ransomeware.

Pete.
By Jimbo1916
If you buy a decent laptop, or any laptop for that matter, why on earth would you need to buy a seperate monitor and keyboard. :roll:

I don't think the OP's into swapping and changing components or taking it shopping with her....She just wants something to replace her old tower which doesn't consist of a tower, monitor and keyboard. I thought this was obvious.

So an ORDINARY laptop, which normally INCLUDES a screen and keyboard will do just fine I think. :roll:

I have a Core i7 and 16GB of ram in my Lenovo Y50 and it flies. It also has a built in screen and keyboard...which is well handy. :roll:

I've also just upgraded the hard drive to a Crucial M300 1GB SSD.
By freddo
bktayken wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:52 pm
pete evans wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:56 pm
Can a tablet do proper computer work? spreadsheets or databases? Essential for business.
Yes mine/the wifes has Excel and Word........everything a laptop has and you can increase memory with an SD card.... load stuff to One Drive and more to much to list
An SD card will increase storage nothing to do with Memory
By Info
Be very careful of the portable hard disks as I have a new one Toshiba that has just died. I think someone must have knocked it off my desk as I found it on the floor. As my pc was dying I bought the disk to download all my "stuff". The pc died and now the portable disk has died and left me with nada. Bee
By TVTechnology
Maybe it's me - we go through lots of computers...

My general feeling about laptops is they wear out a lot quicker than desktops.

I've always found issues relating to overheating a lot more common, as there is simply less airspace in them, so a little dust gets in + heat and they tend to have shorter shelf lives than they do in the UK.

We are using a work enviroment, so perhaps do get pushed a little harder than home use - but i've seen this pattern for years - as and when equipment changed / replaced. Always laptops seem to fall over first.

When I need to travel, I take a laptop. Other wise, find desktops a little more stable longer term...

Dell for a PC good solid brand, if uninspiring.

Be very careful of the portable hard disks as I have a new one Toshiba that has just died. I think someone must have knocked it off my desk as I found it on the floor. As my pc was dying I bought the disk to download all my "stuff". The pc died and now the portable disk has died and left me with nada. Bee
Sorry to hear that - these things do not bounce too well off the tiles. Why not sign up for a dropbox account (free one) and you can dump your documents and photos in there too in the future. All our info is backed up on cloud too, so if everything including back up drives burn to the ground, I can still fire up PC /MAC/IPAD/Android phone - in fact pretty much any connected compatible device and download / access everything...In fact for work, we work on the cloud, which then backs up to the PC, which then backs up to a further hard drive.....3 deep....
By PeteKnight
Jimbo1916 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:17 pm
If you buy a decent laptop, or any laptop for that matter, why on earth would you need to buy a seperate monitor and keyboard. :roll:
If you re-read my post you’ll see that I talked about an external keyboard and mouse and MAYBE an external monitor.
Anyone who is used to using a full sized keyboard and a ‘proper’ mouse may be unhappy at the prospect of using a laptop keyboard and trackpad/nipple if they want to do some serious work. I use a laptop quite a bit, but I still prefer a full sized keyboard and a mouse. If the laptop was my only machine then I’d certainly be using a decent keyboard with full sized keys and full key travel, plus a nice optical mouse.
There’s also the issue of ergonomics. I prefer my screen to be at eye level when I’m seated, but the mouse and keyboard need to be on the desktop - at a much lower height. You can’t do that unless you raise your laptop up, and use an external keyboard/mouse.

Depending on the size of the laptop screen, and the type of work you’re doing, an external monitor MAY be a useful addition. In some situations it might be worth using both the laptop screen and the external monitor, but it depends on whether you prefer a dual screen setup.

Pete.
By Jimbo1916
I don´t know many people who use a monitor and an extra keyboard with their laptop. That`s the whole idea of one. A 15 or 17 inch screen is more than adequate for most people, and I have advised her as such.

I have a high spec tower and two laptops and I certainly can`t see the point of having extra monitors and keyboards if I`m sitting in the front garden with either of them.

The only addition that I may make sometimes is that although both laptops have excellent on board speakers, I do plug in an external sub woofer and Bose speakers.
By freddo
Info wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:28 pm
By freddo
freddo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:23 am
Info wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:28 pm
A pity you were not backing up to the Cloud or Google Drive but the data on you external and other drive can be recovered I do it
By Info
Thanks Paul and freddo. Yes the Cloud sounds good but I think you have to subscribe for that and my "stuff" is not all that valuable to have a yearly subscription. It's just a nuisance when everything you collect disappears. Freddo I am waiting for someone to look at the drive for me and see what if anything is recoverable. It is just a nuisance that these external drives are so delicate. I will wrap the next one in a rubber case. I also lost a usb in the same week where the stuff on it was more valuable to me. Somebody hit off it,or hit something off it, while it was in the PC and completely buckled it. The joys of technology and thinking you have every angle covered.

Bee
Urgent request for dog beds

as while back someone was making dog beds out of p[…]

free oranges

That's kind. I wonder if the charity shops woul[…]

Spanish driving license question

yes at least one copy of every original document

Why not buy a blind that fits And it would lo[…]

mrs nelson, go to specsavesers, they will help yo[…]

reduced €90

Door and frame with keys, 205cm x 81cm, window gri[…]

The Charity for Easy Horse Rescue in Washington Sq[…]