Torrevieja Forum

This Section Is For Anything To Do With Electronics

Moderator: Moderator

By Sheff_Blade
For anyone using Windows 10 who are seeing a message to update the operating system, beware!

A lot of people, including me, have stupidly clicked ok to install the latest patches and have ended up with an unusable system. Google around and you'll find lots of tips before you update eg make sure you have enough disk space, check what anti-virus software you are using etc. Alas these are too late for me and others.
By old boy
Apart from exceptional occasions, which are pretty rare, Microsoft only releases updates on what has become known as Patch Tuesday, which is the 2nd Tuesday of the month. Here in Europe, it is often not until the following day that they become available.

Unless your computer has become seriously compromised, if you look in Updates and Security in Settings then you will see what updates are available and from there you can check what each update is for and what it does.
By old boy
You do realise that this refers to the April updates. It surprises me that problems relating to the updates released over 6 weeks ago are only just now being reported.

I updated to the May downloads over two weeks ago, and, touch wood, have not had any problems with either months' releases. Oh, and I also run Avast Free Anti-virus which some appear to be blaming.
By jimny1
I have had and still have a message popping up on my screen to download 10 gb of updates from windows 10 since april
I only have just under 3 gb of space left on my hp stream laptop so i was unable to do this
and touch wood nothing detrimental has happened without this update
By Rodtoms
Thursday 24th May
we had the upgrade and couldn't open the laptop normally.it kept going to a blue page with questions .what ever we did, it kept going back to the 1st page. The laptop wouldnt not open up properly.
we had to take it to our IT supplier and they had to re-install windows 10 and recover the old files.
They charged us €95 !!!!
I want my money back from BILL GATES.

This is robbery
Roderick
By freddo
You need to change your IT supplier they are the robbers far too much and there was no need to reinstall that's the sign of incompetence they could quite easily have turned back to the pre update state and you can turn off automatic updates if you wish
By Rodtoms
I am a basic user but even though I tried to get some response from the lap top , all the system would do is revert to the blue screen. I tried to revert to a previous time to bring everything back but it said there there was no history. I even googled my dilemma but nothing would change the blue screen
By freddo
you need a copy of windows 10 on a usb stick and start the pc booting from the usb drive that will give you a repair option . If there is no history it means System Restore has not been switched on also means that the Windows OS was not installed onto correctly formatted hard drive
By Sheff_Blade
In my case nothing would work, even the START button. I had to Ctrl Alt Del and load Task Manager then start a new process and BROWSE to the USB and run the install.
By freddo
I fail to understand why people are putting extra Antiviral programs on Windows 10 which has a very good one of its own installed I have never installed one and have never had any viruses or malwarebytes on my computers plus the fact is that they will conflict with each other most third party antiviral programs switch off Windows Defender by default
By Lincoln45
freddo wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:06 pm
you need a copy of windows 10 on a usb stick and start the pc booting from the usb drive that will give you a repair option . If there is no history it means System Restore has not been switched on also means that the Windows OS was not installed onto correctly formatted hard drive
Unfortunately Windows 10 has System Restore turned off by default. Crazey, but thats Microsoft for you.
modelo 210

We use Banco popular so I would presume every on-l[…]

Bus pass

I have never applied for a bus pass because I was[…]

Advice regarding red wine

Any serious wine drinker should know how to store […]

Another reason for leaving ....

.... and now they want a back-stop for a back-stop[…]

Football tonight

Tuned in to LA1 and that was highlights from the E[…]

Pool Dilemmas

What's 'winter bobbers'?