Torrevieja Forum

This Section Is For Anything To Do With Electronics

Moderator: Moderator

By carolmac
We have a huge dish on our solarium which we had for sky tv which we no longer get. We do however get freeview and we share this with our neighbours. Our neighbours are selling their property and we are wondering if we can get freeview on a smaller dish once they have sold? If so what size and the cost if you can please.

We also have an iptv box which we are happy with but we get a lot of freezing on the programmes which are not for long but a bit annoying to be honest. The box supplier is telling me that it is our internet and we should do a speed test on their box which I have done, even when it is freezing and we seem to be getting a steady 24/25mgps. They say our ping is too high, it is between 18 and 21 and we should lower this. I didnt think it was possible to do that? Im obviously not an expert but any advice you may have would be very much appreciated. We are with Airsat for internet and get about 28 mgps steady signal.
By strolling_minstrel
You get Freesat, not Freeview through the dish as Freeview is the UK terrestrial service.
You will need at least 1.4 metre dish to get Freesat and, even then, some of the channels may not be available, especially some of the HD channels and at certain times of the year.
Cost for a good size dish plus cabling (although you may already have that) can be around 600 to 700 euro. If you've got the room then go for a 1.9 dish as that will bring all the channels in and, hopefully, future proof it for several years so, if you have a huge dish already, probably best to keep it rather than spending out for a new one.
By TVTechnology
The box supplier is telling me that it is our internet and we should do a speed test on their box which I have done, even when it is freezing and we seem to be getting a steady 24/25mgps. They say our ping is too high, it is between 18 and 21 and we should lower this. I didnt think it was possible to do that? Im obviously not an expert but any advice you may have would be very much appreciated. We are with Airsat for internet and get about 28 mgps steady signal.
Speed tests, other than an initial check are all but useless. The issue is they measure a quick burst, perhaps 30 seconds of internet. What they do not advise you is of ongoing or continual stability, or if the internet provider is throttling the speed to the portal.

Usual values for optics of cable connection is 5-20ms. Wireless (2.4Ghz, 5Ghz,..) 30ms. or so, Mobile connection is much worse >100ms, satellite internet can also be slow on the ping front.

Your ping is low & looks ok - if over 100-150 ms would question, yours is fast. This means either you have instability or throttling from your ISP - or the box service is not up to par & information you are being presented with is not 100% accurate. You could always run a comparative test of another IPTV service on your existing set-top box, which would then help you determine if issue is the ISP or the IPTV provider (we can offer free test trial). Or you could take your IPTV box and put it on a friends internet connection and see how it performs.

Minimum size you would need for a new dish is a 1.4 and at this size, best to avoid cutting corners or with cheaper dishes or LNB's as is the breakout point of stable reception, cost best of the 1.4's installed is €299 however, not really needed unless you really want to see the back of the better performing but much bigger 1.8/1.9. Main difference is that the smaller dish can be wall mounted - whereas generally the 1.9's are floor mounted which can take up precious terrace space.

Edit - further thought: If the issue is the space the existing dish is taking up on the terrace or ground (?)then it may be possible to put it on a wall mount or custom bracket - saving the existing dish & freeing up floor space.

Paul

I was thinking the same meishka. As we don't have[…]

On line electric bill

I have been trying for days to register with Iberd[…]

If you have registed for Email notification then j[…]

NOW TV

"Skys NOW TV can now be used outside the UK o[…]

I.B.S. medicines

Buscopan is a non-prescription medicine for IBS.[…]

Painter wanted

Lo t s on Facebook. Join the local group for vil[…]

Hourly rate