Torrevieja Forum

This Section Is For Anything To Do With Electronics

Moderator: Moderator

By JP1981
Hi there.

Need some guidance. My mother-in-law lived in Torrevieja but sadly passed away in November (back in the UK). We are coming over next month to sort a lot of bits out and I'm in charge of TV and internet.

She had a landline with Movistar - which we've been unable to cancel as we're not her! - and an outdated Torresat box.

We want to get internet installed, we're happy to lose the landline provision (although I know in most cases you do need both) and then the best/cheapest UK TV package. We heard in the past about ones ran via the net, so that's a path we're very interested in.

Have to admit, I don't really know where to start, so any advice is gratefully received.
By TVTechnology
She had a landline with Movistar - which we've been unable to cancel as we're not her!
Consult a lawyer, or if getting nowhere fast and have online access to her bank accounts, manually go in and de-authorise the direct debits, you can do it if have access. I assume if you wanted to physically go into the bank to arrange this, they would be required to see POWER OF ATTORNEY - the authority you have to take control of fiscal and other matters. If you have UK paperwork from lawyer, you can take to Spanish lawyer, get notorised in Spanish. IT & Legal support :D

LANDLINE / INTERNET
If you have a LANDLINE you pay line rental and of course have the voice calls, combined with the internet. It is generally the most expensive option & only really worthwhile if you have good internet on it - if an average internet/ non-fibre optic service, may be worth reviewing alternative service type option.

WIRELESS REBROADCAST INTERNET
If you are able to receive a wireless transmission type service, requiring a small dish on the roof - there are a number of companies locally that offer this, it will depend on where their transmitters are, in relation to your property - can a company access the roof to place an antenna? Our technicians install for one service provider locally & usual format is, you provide us your full address, then we have a review of coverage for the location. Most work same way. These type of services do not require the landline rental & are cheaper monthly for the internet only - you can still use voip/skpye/whatsapp for chat for free, though you can often bolt on a phone number and even portable phone to these type of services, if you want to add in any point in time.
and then the best/cheapest UK TV package. We heard in the past about ones ran via the net, so that's a path we're very interested in.
Will depend on the content you require. Cheapest long-term is satellite dish, as once installed, it is free to air, no subscriptions, HD, best picture quality, no reliance on internet.

There is no stable free to air, for free, down the internet provided by the main UK broadcasters. A little while ago, there was filmon for free, but now they charge. Anything else will be a fudge of software and be based on freely available services, with the stability of jelly. Not a simple to use, stable or realistic solution, someone will try to sell :wink: you, it is.

Satellite is different, we use bigger dishes to pick up the signal aimed at the UK & legal for us to receive overspill.

IPTV - for any form of stable service, whether be UK terrestrials only - or every premium package, catchup and movies - will all be subscription based, as in order to have any type of stable TV over the internet, requires a stable service & for that it has to be hosted and maintained. These cost from €13-€30 per month for a solid IPTV solution, you may find cheaper, but rule is cheaper you go, so does the stability and service go with it. Satellite FTA €0- but limited to FTA content, unless you wish to pay for Sky subscription.

Paul
By JP1981
Thanks Paul, I think I understand most of that.

We've had someone round before who talked about a huge satellite dish, but we would have needed permission from the Presidente and the outlay of 600 euro for the same channels as the Torresat kinda put us off.

I think the internet wireless rebroadcast and IPTV would probably be the best option for us. We don't want premium channels, basically the UK freeview (I saw a package on your website that I think would suit us). We do have access to the roof, and it is a top-floor apartment. It's in Calle Helsinki.

Any chance you can give me a rough price for that sort of thing? We're over in the middle of next month and we'd be happy for you to come round then...
By TVTechnology
We've had someone round before who talked about a huge satellite dish, but we would have needed permission from the Presidente and the outlay of 600 euro for the same channels as the Torresat kinda put us off.
You can install the best 1.4 offset available for €299 + a receiver (various options) if needed, so does not need to be €600, you can use a smaller dish. If putting a dish on your roof or external patio area you do not need to seek permission from anyone if is on your property boundary - EU directive. Only if your dish is on community area or blocking community access.

Another approach to apartment? blocks we find appealing to communities is to offer to put in a slightly better dish €499 - €699 range, which can be shared with the entire community. Often we advise clients if needing to seek permission, that if you offer to share or have the option to from the OUTSET, it will be viewed a little more favourably - for example, a 1.45 or 1.9 dish, we can add in more connections later, without affecting your signal - from 1 apartment to the whole apartment block - 1 dish for UK TV, then if a neighbour wants a connection, rather than another dish, a little extra cable / equipment. This stops too many dishes on community areas and is generally quite a popular option, as it keeps clutter to a minimum.

Torresat (most complained about TV company on all of the forums) charge you not too far off €300 per year, each and every year, so seems reasonable when paying monthly - until you add it up long term. Also at less than €300 per year you can buy a premium type service which offers all the things Torresat does not - premium, catch up and video on demand. Their 20-year-old system belongs in the past :wink: . It is not an officially recognised system, prone to interference - they've been in and out of court over the years and you don't have to look too far to seem some less than positive remarks on the web. To summarise, not my first recommendation - also I don't feel obliged to assist in lining the pockets of crooked Russians & local Spanish politicians who own this company (allegedly :D ).

IPTV prices for the terrestrial services. 'UK Economy' - also has catch up and video on demand content, shown on below link.

https://tvtech.sharepoint.com/Pages/economicaliptv.aspx (info for IPTV service you mention)

Internet wise will have to come back you as need service technicians to review address and may need site survey - best email info@televisiontechnology.eu for further communication as difficult to backtrack forum posts for review, but can emails.

For the UK TV, i'd still be inclined to see if it is possible for a satellite dish, as this will be your best and most economical long-term option. For reference, we have 'chapter & verse' of EU directive re Satellite dishes in English & Spanish in downloadable format from our website (under planning permission). If it's on your property and not obstructing anyone else, you can do as you please as EU law, I suspect rates above you presidents opinion ;-) Also the offering to share the dish seems to help. As stated I have a dish on my private roof terrace and with cables into the community ducts, 18 other people have free TV too - one dish. Always worth trying - but other options available if satellite dish option simply not viable.

Paul
info@televisiontechnology.eu

Can't find a "Yea That" flag, or i wou[…]

Football tonight

You must have a different LA1 to mine, because it […]

Sky Q card

presumably if i do eventually change to Sky Q […]

Bed needed on the quick

many thanks

Pool Dilemmas

Winter bobbers should work out about 10e a month.

Thank you very much. Very useful. Nearly same pric[…]

Spanish Economy

Yes-a very valid , and true point T.V. Technology […]

Discussing other forum

That's his choice

New Advertising Slots and Possibilities